1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

No Contract.

Discussion in 'Bidding & Estimating' started by Longae29, Apr 15, 2009.

1. Longae29

Longae29 PlowSite.com Addict

Went into a local big box store this morning (269,000 sq ft parking lot) and talked to the manager, he told me he was getting billed on a monthly basis all inclusive snow/landscaping. He told me what he was paying, I went outside, measured everything came back to the office, crunched the numbers and came up with a lower figure than what he was paying. The snowplowing portion would be much more significant than the landscaping therefore I'd want to have the job for a 12 month period at a time. I called the manager, told him I could save him some money blah blah blah, he said, send me something and i'll look it over, and we can go from there but I "can't and won't sign a contract, I can give you my word though" SERIOUSLY? this may be fine for plowing your neighbors driveway, but why in the world would a national chain store operate like that? anyone else have any experience like that.....I'm not going to do the job without a signed contract, theres no doubt about that, your "word" means nothing.
  2. QuadPlower

QuadPlower PlowSite.com Addict

Talk to someone else. Go on line and find out who handles the accounts. Sounds like this guy doesn't have the power to sign his own contractors. I know a lot of the big stores have companies that do all the hiring of contractors.

My guess is that it is a national company that gets bids (from contractors like you) and then marks them up and makes the store pay that amount. That might be the difference in your cost compaired to what they are paying.

And you don't need to be told not to work for someone without a contract. Walk away if they won't.
  3. iceyman

iceyman 2000 Club Member

hes setting you up for the good ole bait and screw:gunsfiring:
  4. Longae29

Longae29 PlowSite.com Addict

Yeah, the only thing is, if he starts with the landscape maintenance, the agreement is very front loaded money wise, and back loaded with work. I sent the guy our contract, if he doesnt want to sign it, then we won't do the work, i've just never had anyone tell me they won't sign a contract before, and coming from the store that this is, really surprises me that this would be the guy to tell me that.
  5. the new boss 92

the new boss 92 2000 Club Member

i had the same troubles with that in the begging of the year just tell them that the word of mouth means nothing and the economy is not so hot, all the contract will do is protect me and help you out if anything were to happen! and they will surly sign it.