1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

No competition

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Theshoemaker, Aug 16, 2010.

1. Theshoemaker

Theshoemaker Senior Member

Has anyone heard of or been lucky enough to be awarded a contract just from the fact that nobody bid against them?? I have heard a couple old timers tell me that this has happended to them years ago and thats how one local guy started out. Just want to see if this has ever happended or just a myth.
  2. Brian Young

Brian Young PlowSite Veteran

Its happen to me and I know it happen to a friend of mine (who hit a gold mine with his) He's plowing a retail store for 2-3 times what it should be. I think hes getting 165.00 for a lot that takes him a whoppin' 20 minutes to do, including sidewalks. They dont come often but when they do its nice!
  3. leigh

leigh PlowSite.com Addict
    from CT

Some of my best jobs have been last minute calls from property owners who couldn't
    get anyone to return their calls. Best exampie was local Post Office. I didn't want to do
    it but the Post master kept bugging me to bid. No one else bid and now 10 years later
    it' my most profitable job. Although with the state the PO is in i'm getting a little nervous
  4. redman6565

redman6565 PlowSite.com Addict

sometimes you're just that lucky...but sometimes nobody bids for a reason...
  5. Mick76

Mick76 2000 Club Member
    from Maine

Yup, happens at least once a year but then again I send out lots of bids....;.
  6. redman6565

redman6565 PlowSite.com Addict

and I'd like to think its the latter of that statement and not the beginning.