1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

No Comparison In Plows!

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by MIAWPUKEK, Jan 5, 2006.

MIAWPUKEK Senior Member

So a guy comes into the Truck Accessories store today looking for a plow for his truck. So Sean tells him all about the features of the Ultramount Pro Series. But after all the talking, seems like the only thing the guy hears is the price! He says, Jeez, I can get a Fisher for $1000 less. But like Sean says, you gotta compare apples with apples, you can't compare a Western with a Fisher!

It'd be nice you know if people were able to attend a small snow plowing workshop of some sort before they purchase a snow plow. Explain to them what they should look for when purchasing a plow, some tips for plowing, and what benefits each plow has to offer. Find out exactly what they are looking for and help reccomend the right plow for them.

Sean asked me if I would plow their parking lot for them this winter, I said yes if I can get my plow brought up, it's back home (100+ miles away). And I told him I would leave it in front of his store for display so he can show his customers what the Ultramount Pro Plow is all about! Helps to show someone what you're talking about, I think.
  2. Mowerpan

Mowerpan Senior Member

Umm for 1000 dollars less I'd definetly take the fisher. Correct me if I'm wrong, but both the western and fisher are made by douglas dynamics and are both equally well built pieces of equipment. For 1000 dollars they can keep there red paint slighly different mounts and I'd take the fisher.
  3. KingDuramax

KingDuramax Senior Member

My western 8ft pro ultramount with cab command was $650 less than a 7 1/2ft Fisher without Fishstik here. I wanted the Western anyhow so it worked out in my favor. Strange how prices differ.
    *Fisher 7.6 MM2 without Fishstik $4300 no install
    *Western 8ft pro series Ultra with cab command installed $3650
  4. Grn Mtn

Grn Mtn PlowSite.com Addict

How great would that be:bluebounc You walk in and see 15 different plows on 15 Rams:D Out back in a covered lot with 3" of sawdust (year-round snow) you can go get a lesson and try out the different kinds/styles.

Then they would have a salter area and an upgrade shop where you could look at all the different kinds of crap we all load our trucks up with.
    Damn, I'd drive 150 miles just to visit a store like that....

MOW ME OVER Senior Member

Man that store would be the equivelent to a kid in a candy store.:)
  6. LINY Rob

LINY Rob Senior Member

I think the difference in price for the mount is well worth it

its nice to have EVERYTHING come off the truck in less then a minute and to have that tiny bit of bracket on the truck in the off season.

MIAWPUKEK Senior Member

yeah, that was one of the main selling points for me. When I first got it, I had to travel over an old logging road to get to work and if I had big ole brackets on the front, then I woulda dug in, when I had to cross the streams. But the Ultramount allows you to remove the big brackets, and leave only the small ones, looks cleaner too in the summer!
  8. Detroitdan

Detroitdan PlowSite.com Addict

I just looked at a Western sitting next to a Fisher on a new Chevy lot. Western was a "contractor grade" (ooohhh!!) 9' and Fisher was a non-HD 7.5 MM2. The Fisher looked more heavy duty than the Western, better gusseting and heavier gauge steel on the moldboard, even though it was a comparitively light duty plow. I really didnt like the look of the moldboard on the Western. About the only thing I did like about the Western is the way the trip operated, on a big huge roll pin, even though I dont really care for full trip as opposed to trip edge. It was neat being able to compare them side by side, and I'm sure if the Fisher had been a bigger HD model, it would have been even easier to tell which was better.
    I'm not normally one to go into a foriegn forum and start bashing, but I can't help but open my big trap when I see people bash Fisher and talk about how an obviously inferior plow is better. Gimme a break. Now before you freak out on me, let me just say that I'm sure if you go buy a Western and hook it in front of a truck and drive around in the snow, you will more than likely be able to push that snow in front of you. So I'm not saying they dont work, they just are not built as HD as a Fisher. Maybe you don't need the extra beef, but I think it's good to have. Of course, there are guys out there plowing with Meyers and Snowbears and homemade stuff, so anything will work.
  9. addicted

addicted Senior Member

10. Sweetpete

Sweetpete Senior Member

I have a "residential" grade Meyer and fact is....I get paid the same amount as the other guys I plow with who are pushing with Western and Fisher and Curtis.

So, my point is...I make the same rate, my Meyer goes up, down, left and right, and I push snow just like the others. My Meyer has yet to break down and it's about 4 years old (maybe older). Most of the plows around here seem to be built similar, so I'm not really brand loyal. But the Meyer sure seems to hold up well.

Anyways, they all seem to be built well. I would like to take a closer look at the Fishers, however.:dizzy: Time for a nap.
  11. GripTruk

GripTruk Senior Member

I just think it's funny when people have the Fisher vs. Western argument because they are both made by the same company (Douglas).

On the western discussion hosted by a western rep one guy was criticizing western and citing fisher as an example of how they should run their business, I was surprised that the guy didn't say "well, actually we are the SAME business!"

People like what they like, you are never going to convince a Chevy guy that Ford is better, a Coke guy that Pepsi is better, and on and on. They both get the job done, and each has it advantages, and we choose based on which are more important to us, as well as what we are familiar with.

I had a Meyer on my old Jeep and it was very hard to give it up and get a Western on my Tahoe, but I think it was the better choice in my case.

12. LINY Rob

LINY Rob Senior Member

my 1 year old western set up does nothing better then my 24 year old Meyer set up so I understand exactly what your saying

MIAWPUKEK Senior Member

Man, there's some great comments coming in, don't be afraid to speak your mind on what you think about the plows, everybody's entitled to their own opinion. And like "Grip Truk" said, everybody likes different plows for different reasons. The main reasons I like Western is for the Ultramount Hookup (quick & easy), and how the brackets come off with one pin for the summer. Other than that, to me, most plows are pretty much similar.

Keep 'em coming!:drinkup:
  14. LINY Rob

LINY Rob Senior Member

if I could push snow across a parkinglot with a piece of plywood on the front of the truck I would

its about making money and being safe, not about having the flashiest plow and the prettiest truck. Older plow trucks are pure money making machines.
  15. Detroitdan

Detroitdan PlowSite.com Addict

just because Fisher and Western are owned by the same parent company does not mean they are "made by the same people". They are still built on different designs in their own factories by different people. That's like saying Volvos and Jaguars are the same because they both are owned by Ford. And I totally agree with the making money comment. If you can make the same money with a used cheap plow on an old truck, then that's money in your pocket. That's why I bought a used plow for $1500 and put it on a truck thats paid for.
  16. to_buy

to_buy Senior Member

Western is still better in my opinion

We have a fleet of 90 plow trucks and when asked "what would you use if you where to buy a plow" my remark is always "If i was plowing it would be a Western, but if I had to sell it would be Meyers". Meyers have more pump problems then Western.
    Why is that you might ask, well when i service a Western I remove the motor and flush out 99 percent of the junk in the system and then remove the line and jack up the plow and angle back and forth to blow everything out of the rams.
    Meyers you can do the same almost, the base lug holes so much debris you can't get it all out so it stays in the system. Next everytime you use the quick connect you contaminate the fluid with debris.
    Sorry just my opinion.
    Richard Tobias New Jersey Transit
  17. YardMedic

YardMedic PlowSite.com Addict

I have to give Western some credit for developing a good, rugged mounting system. 20 years ago I wouldn't have said that. It appears equally as strong as Fisher. Where I get hung up, as was said earlier, is the lighter weight moldboard and full trip. I see their need to put in a shock absorber as an admission that full trip is more problematic than a trip edge. I'd never buy a full trip like in Meyers or Western. I'm diehard Fisher and probably will always be. I haven't had anything impress me as the Fisher has through my lifetime so far
  18. terrapro

terrapro PlowSite Veteran
    from MI

does boss not deserve an argument?
  19. LINY Rob

LINY Rob Senior Member

this topic is 11 months old, I was thinking someone logged on with my name until I looked at the date:dizzy:
  20. cornbinder

cornbinder Senior Member

i just bought a truck from a guy that works for the state of new jersey, it was a jersey state truck. it still had an oil change sticker that read new jersey transportation pool or "transit" it had a meyers undercarriage on it with all western components!! i asked why and he told me they got tired of replacing meyers pumps and solenoids, so they went out and started buying the western components and it saved money and aggravation!! thanks, pete