1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

no cab heat

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by highlander316, Apr 3, 2009.

1. highlander316

highlander316 Senior Member

ok, I have no cab heat in my 97 3500, with a 454 5sp. I had my friend at a dealership hook it up to the coolant system and power flush it out and still no luck. All I get is cool air blowing out (a/c works perfect to). Not sure where else to check? Also, only my floor vents and defroster vents work, could this be part of the problem? Thanks.

2. mayhem

mayhem PlowSite.com Addict
    from Peru MA

When warmed up check all 4 hoses (radiator feed and return, heater core feed and return). If all are hot then I'm not sure...maybe the air temp blend door? If any of those lines are cold you've got blockage that they didn't get out. Try flushing again and backflush the heater core. Fixed my plugged heater core.

3. CityGuy

CityGuy PlowSite Fanatic

Not sure about the heat part but, as far as floor/defrost the "door" is either broken or stuck. Is it an electronic or a cable control? If electronic it may be that the "head" unit is broke or if cable then the cable may have broken off or fallen off. The door is in the center unit just above the trans. It's a pain in the butt to replace the door if you have too.

4. highlander316

highlander316 Senior Member

electronic controls. I'll check all the hoses tomorrow while we are working, see what they feel like.

5. CityGuy

CityGuy PlowSite Fanatic

If you know someone else with the same control style you could try "changing/barrowing" one to see if it's the control head. I had to replace mine twice in my 98 and then the door broke in the unit so had to take it all apart and replace the door. Really a pain in the butt at least for me. Had to remove strobe powerpack, FD radio, 800mhz plow radio and then brackets that held it all together just to get to the heater.