1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

No Cab Heat

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by mayhem, Jan 3, 2008.

1. mayhem

mayhem PlowSite.com Addict
    from Peru MA

So today's subzero temperatures really got to my truck...I've got almost no heat coming out of the vents. Checked the lines under the hood and the return line from the firewall was stone cold. Am I right in thinking my heater core is pretty much plugged up?

I had slow heat late last winter combined with a low temp gauge, which I figured was a abd t-stat...replaced it, burped the lines and the problem went away.

This year, its worse, but the temp gauge reads normal and the coolant lines are all hot. I had a local place do a flush and fill and it helped significantly for about a month, but now its virtually no heat at all.

Gonna call the local radiator specialty place tomorrow, anyone have any other ideas to try that won't run me a kajillion dollars?

2. scitown

scitown Senior Member

I just sold my old 1990 flare side z71 to a friend. He lost heat in it about a month ago. He said he somehow cleared the lines with compressed air. Blew a big plug of crap out the return hose. He said it was like playdoe. Hope it can be cleared and It is not the heater core good luck.

3. ahoron

ahoron Senior Member
    from here

try to back flush the core with a garden hose. remove the hoses from the heater stick hose in return side.or compressed air like scitown said.good luck

4. Plowinpro03

Plowinpro03 Senior Member

I did that with a pressue washer one time...deff. cleaned out the core and my cab along with it......

To answer your question in short, its most likey the heater...quick fix....try kicking hard under your passenger side dash and see if it loosens up a little....

5. sechracer

sechracer Senior Member

If you can hear the blower motor running, the fan itself is fine. With one side of the core being cold, its definitly plugged. The garden hose works great, I do not reccomend using air as if you cant get it to push out, you could crack the core, and then you have to replace it. Useing a garden hose, remove the hoses from the core (or the other ends if easier to reach, but make sure they are the ones directly to the core), flush the water through the cold side first. When the water clears up, fush back through the other way. Do this a few times, and then hook everything back up. Refill the system, burp it, and refill it again. Warm up the truck and try it.

OR replace the heater core....... your choice.

Tom

6. mayhem

from Peru MA

I think I'll try the first option first.

Thanks guys.

7. sweetk30

sweetk30 PlowSite.com Addict

if dex cool first get rid of it now !!!!

then flush heater core with garden hose. we do it all the time at work.

that dex cool needs to be installed up the enginers arsh till he is toped off. :eek:

8. pyro29

pyro29 Member

Second that! Every vehicle with dex-cool is a clogged core waiting to happen.

And a leaking intake gasket...and a bad water pump...and a crusty leaking radiator...

9. Plowinpro03

Plowinpro03 Senior Member

The dealer wouldn't even be able to say it better for themselves...dex-cool...a failed attempt by GM...

10. scitown

scitown Senior Member

Did you flush it out? Let us know how you made out.

11. mayhem

from Peru MA

Flushed it out this morning...plug of nasty crap came out of the core looking for all the world like a cup of black coffee. Flushed it in both directions twice through the core, water was clear running through. Reconnected everything and fired it up...had warm air in the cab inside of 5 minutes.

Thanks for the help guys...hopefully it will stay in good condition and this isn't just the beginning of the disintegration of my heater core...but at least I've bought myself some time.

12. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

The blockage isn't from the deterioration of the heater core, it's from the break down of the Dex-Cool... So you should be good on the heater core and it should last a long time...

13. jjtmarineb2

jjtmarineb2 Member

Please tell me you flushed the rest of the old coolant out after clearing the heater core! If not, expect it to happen again. flush the whole cooling system with water until clear and then refill with the green ethylene glycol. Yes you can do this, you just are not supposed to mix the two. :drinkup: all around! :drinkup:

14. mayhem

from Peru MA

Didn't think of that.

I didn't flush the rest of the system out because I just had it flushed and filled with green stuff. Hopefully the contaminants were built up in the heater core and the rest of the system is reasonably clean.

15. sechracer

sechracer Senior Member

You should be fine.

16. scitown

scitown Senior Member

Thats good to here. Cheap fix. Good luck

17. In2toys

In2toys Senior Member

So I'm ASSSSUMing the above fix would more than likely work on an 83 Chevy k20 with the same no heat deal.

18. MAR4CARS

MAR4CARS Senior Member

Will work on anything that has a plugged heater core provided whats pugging it comes out.

19. carl b

carl b PlowSite.com Addict
    from Ohio

I'm having the same problem in my 94 Chevy . this fall I replaced the thermostat. this spring I did the line from the manifold to the core . today I had the core flushed . It worked in the heated shop but with in a 5 mile drive it was cold . I need to get it fix now I have to plow tonight . my temp is reading 190 when it was 20-30 outside now it 0-10 it reading 150.

20. carl b

carl b PlowSite.com Addict
    from Ohio

anyone I'm lost here . I'm running out of things to try .