1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

No Bulk Salt !

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by Dailylc, Jul 21, 2008.

1. Dailylc

Dailylc Senior Member

Just got my letter from NASC informing me that because of shortages last season they will only be sell to government agencies. I guess I'll have to buy bagged this year. Anyone else got this kind of info yet. It sucks because I was making a killing on the bulk salt:cry:

2. elite1msmith

elite1msmith 2000 Club Member
    from chicago

? huh

r they crazy? have yo looked at other salt suppyers?

3. nicksplowing

nicksplowing PlowSite.com Addict

MY SUPPLIER HAS 600 TONS COMING END OF SEPTEMBER:dizzy:

4. Dailylc

Dailylc Senior Member

I'm going to try to find another bulk supplier, but i will have to drive some distance to get it.
    I will hate it if I have to buy bagged.

5. T-MAN

T-MAN PlowSite.com Addict

Have you talked with your supplier ?
    My supplier had an order in for 50,000 tons from NA Salt. 2 weeks ago they were informed that NO private orders will be filled. There are Countys in IL who have NO contracts yet. All the muni's are doubling there normal orders. Bend over private contractors, if you can get bulk, you will be paying !
    Looks like we can all start loading up on sand :eek:

Last edited: Jul 23, 2008
  6. T-MAN

Be Happy if you can find bags, they will all be gone by Dec.
    The only way things will change will be if we have a very light winter.

7. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

Like T-Man stated, they can't even fulfill the contracts that they have had previously with municipalities.

Good luck, but it won't be easy, there is still a shortage from last year.

8. stroker79

stroker79 2000 Club Member

Mark, I see they cleaned up this thread? LOL

I just looked at our piles and it looks like we still have about 200 tons sitting in the covered bins. Granted thats about enough for 1-2 lighter storms. Hopefully you all can get some salt!

9. T-MAN

I wouldnt be to confident in your Boss's ability to secure salt. There are still 3 Countys(In the Chicagoland area) with out contracts LOL. Short of your Boss having a couple thousand tons stashed in a barn some place I wouldnt count on anything till you see the semi's pulling in to dump it.
    I really think its gonna be real flippin tuff this season securing any quantitys. Companys that do 100 ton events and store 500 are gonna really be screwed this season. Probally be a real good year to keep things on the smaller scale for me. Start stocking up on liquids as well. You can bet come Nov. the price of Liquid magic, Ice ban, and Geo melt will sky rocket if they are even available....

10. stroker79

Well, its not some small operation, we clear places thate the size of the old great lakes naval base which is now a huge shopping area. plus a ton of little things like grocery stores and banks. We never had an issue last year. maybe we will this year? I dunno. I know we had 33 loads from pittsburg last year, so the minds that be get what is needed.

Liquid might be the way to go for sure.

11. Enzo

Enzo Senior Member

I mainly do residential accounts and only a few of them want the ice melter stuff. So I only got two 5 gallon buckets filled with the orange magic salt left. It cost me around $16 something for a 50 pound bag. I hope I can some stuff for this coming season

12. T-MAN

Great Lakes Naval Station is still going strong, they are building like crazy down there. They have allways had there own equipment there for snow though. Just went passed there salt bin, and Ice Ban tanks the other day.

I am not saying you guys wont get salt, just dont think your bigger then some of the countys around here. I was told by my supplier 3 weeks ago dont worry she had 50,000 tons ordered, and she had expanded there salt business in Milwaukee, and my neck of the woods. She supplied some heavy hitters in Milwaukee Including the Zoo, and Miller Park. Now she has zip :cry:

Who you working for ?

13. elite1msmith

elite1msmith 2000 Club Member
    from chicago

yep , still going strong , my unit is based out of there, part time of course -ussmileyflag

14. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

Size doesn't matter when it comes to salt. First served are muni's, and that depends on how bad they want your business. Then brokers, then individual contractors unless you're getting barge type loads on a yearly basis.

If they're telling muni's they're screwed, the brokers and contractors are also screwed, unless you have a really good broker.

It's going to be tight for everyone, especially if it's anything close to last year. Even a light year won't be much better.

15. stroker79

OK, so this thread made me actually call and talk to the guys in charge of salt and whatnot at the company I sub for. We have 500 tons in bins and 7,000 tons promised with a 1500 ton extra if we need it. And last year we used 10,000 tons not 15 like I stated earlier. I didnt say or mean to say that we plow the GL naval base, lol But as a better example, we do alot of corporate lots, industrial lots and things that size. Just secured 40 branch banks I guess earlier this week.

16. Snowshow

Snowshow Member

Mark, we have heard the same thing this year from our suppliers. They say it's going to be extreamly tight on salt. I heard that prices are already going to triple from where we were buying from last year and that major suppliers will be out of salt by the first of November. I am located right on the docks in Muskegon and there are already gravel trains pulling salt by the hundreds of tons per day. Morton put two full boats on the ground and they are not even covering the pile becasue they are hauling it out so fast. I have never seen them haul bulk salt this early before. I hope we all can get our stated quotas instead of getting the door slammed on us like last year.

17. powerjoke

powerjoke PlowSite.com Addict

i just got back my salt bid today.....it was a little higher than expected but atleast i am able to get some....how much do you go through each year?

18. purpleranger519

purpleranger519 Senior Member
    from Kansas

PJ...where are you getting your salt from and if you don't mind me asking what are you paying per ton? I found out that my normal supplier won't have any this year. I've got it before in Bonner Springs, but that place is high. I'm looking for around 30-40 tons. Any help would be apprieciated!
    Thank's

19. powerjoke

powerjoke PlowSite.com Addict

try independance salt company......they are cheap but don't provide verry good service so you need to take it at once.

P.S. send me a pm or give me a call and i'll try to help out a little

RICK

20. 84deisel

84deisel Senior Member

We are going to be fine.I could use some extra cash this winter if we have to go down to louiville again this winter payup ,it's nice to have in house trucking.