1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

no bright lights

Discussion in 'Boss Plows Discussion' started by bradhow79, Nov 2, 2010.

1. bradhow79

bradhow79 Member

Fellas,
    Help me out if ya can, 2000 chevy new bodystyle,boss power v w/smarthitch,about 10 years old, everything truckside works fine,plow side I dont have bright lights...I pulled the headlight(ps) bright light switch on green wire is hot,bright light switch off,green wire is hot red wire is dim(test light) parking and turn work fine the vehicle option connector is in the red to white configureation(opposite from what its supposed to be,I think) if I reverse it I have no lights and bright light indicator is always on.also in its current configureation the bright light indicator takes a few seconds to shut off,although I see no change in the plow side lights??? any help would be appreciated?
    Bradhow

2. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

If the vehicle option connector is "backward" then it's correct for your truck.

Check the relay pack for corrosion in the plugs, pull each relay out and physically check for it. If it's all ok start swapping the relays around to see if anything changes. If it does then one of the relays are faulty. If nothing changes then you have a broken wire in the plow harness somewhere between the trucks lamps and the relay pack.

3. bradhow79

bradhow79 Member

did the relay swappin thing,to no avail,so I guess Ill start checkin pins at the connector to see what side is bad? do I have the low beams working(green wire)? Thanks B&B,ive read alot of your posts and thank you for your time,I included as much info as possible with you in mind

4. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

If you'd like the wiring schematics so you're not testing blindly you can get them in here: Boss manual This particular one is for a straight blade but the wiring is all the same.

Happy to help. :salute:

5. bradhow79

bradhow79 Member

unless Im reading that wrong,i should have my option connector in the "standard" position?
    my plow must be older than that schematic as the colors in the headlight are different on a side note electrical gremlins are ever so much fun

6. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Then it must be old enough to have the old style square sealed beam lights with a 13 pin harness. OK lets back up here just a little. Yes the option connector should be in the standard orientation and before digging into the harness; have you at any point since the plow highs stopped working done anything pertaining to the truck headlamp adapters? Perhaps you had them disconnected for some reason? Because each one can be connected one of two ways (they're reversible and labeled "A" and "B" if you look very closely) so it's possible to reconnect them incorrectly without being aware and will cause them not to work, high beam indicator to stay on, or not light at all etc.

7. bradhow79

bradhow79 Member

it does have the old square lights,this is a new install,used plow,i looked at one side of the adapter and I believe its right as per instructions but Ill recheck and post back...thanks!

8. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

You did provide plenty of details originally (unlike many) but leaving out the fact this was a new install was a big one. Otherwise I would have instructed to go after the headlamp adapters first as it's the primary cause for lighting issues on a Boss. I think you'll find they're not all connected correctly (yours need plugged into the "B" side) and once they are you're issue should be fixed.

9. bradhow79

bradhow79 Member

ok,checked headlight adapters,all hooked up to B side! Im very confused as to why it works at all when the option connector is reversed?

10. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Is the plow side harness an 11 or 13 pin? The truck side is obviously 13 but what about the plow? Now that you have the adapters established for sure it may be nothing more than a poor ground on the plow side or a weak connection in the bumper connector.

11. bradhow79

bradhow79 Member

I will check that out,I know I have a bad ground so Ill fix that and check back,Thanks!

12. bradhow79

bradhow79 Member

plow side is 11 pin,fixed,cleaned all the grounds,bright light indicator stays on weather the plow is plugged in or not(when switch is on plow) whats going on?

13. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

There's your issue, can't run a 13 pin truck side with an 11 pin plow side on a 99-02 GM new body style as the truck lamps those years are positive common rather than negative common as with all other years. Either have to run a 13 or an 11 on both sides to allow a positive common system to be "switched over" so to speak so the plow lamps become positive common as well.

The positive negative thing is why your headlamps adapters can be connected two ways. Because that's how you deal with either system on a 13 pin but the 11 pin works completely different. So basically in it's current state the truck is properly wired for a positive common but the plow is still configured for a negative common and this equals headlamp issues. Need to convert the plow site to 13 pin as well.

14. bradhow79

bradhow79 Member

Is this just a harness or new lights?? at least were on to something.what do I need to get and will it hurt anything to leave it as is for now? B&B your help is awesome,thanks so much
    Brad

15. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

You can splice a new 13 pin into your existing lights as long as they're equipped with the three needed wires in the housing, high beam, low beam, and most importantly a ground wire.

Simply tie the new harness in right inside the light housings to keep them out of the weather. A few minutes with a test light once the new harness is installed will tell you which wires need connected together. Highs, lows, turns, grounds etc.

16. bradhow79

bradhow79 Member

So I order a new plowside harness and then splice in the headlights?,there is not a seperate ground,its grounded to the housing of the lights,also...will it hurt anything to leave it as is for now? and any I dea which harness to get?

Last edited: Nov 9, 2010
  17. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Correct. Just disassemble the lights, add the new harness and splice it all together in there.

As long as it isn't blowing headlamp fuses it's fine to run as is until you get it switched over to the correct harness.

Boss p/n MSC04317

18. bradhow79

bradhow79 Member

Gotta say...your my hero!