1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

No break pedal?

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by blowerman, Feb 17, 2009.

1. blowerman

blowerman PlowSite.com Addict

The other day while driving, I pressed on the brake pedal in my 2002 Chevy 3500 and it went to the floor. I'm not leaking fluid and brakes are in good condition.
    Was thinking it's either the master cylinder or booster pump behind the master.
    Any suggestions would be much appreciated.
    Thanks Chris

2. CityGuy

CityGuy PlowSite Fanatic

Is the brake light on in the cab? Did you check the fuses, not that they should have anything to do with the pedal but the abs system has a fuse.

3. blowerman

The brake light is on,(red light) but not the ABS light.

4. CityGuy

CityGuy PlowSite Fanatic

That means there is a problem with your brake system. Just a thought but make sure that the parking brake is not pressed down at all. You are going to have to get the truck scanned to find out what code it is throwing. I believe you can buy an inexpensive brake code scanner at your local parts shop. Or take it to someone that is able to read brake code. Someone else may be able to chime in on this but I do not believe that you can still jump the pcm hook up and get the vehical to blink the code number like the older trucks.

5. ahoron

ahoron Senior Member
    from here

most likely master cylinder make sure you don't have a leak in the lines. When the booster goes bad it has the opposite effect the pedal is hard to press

6. albhb3

albhb3 PlowSite Veteran

check your fluid level i just had to on my old ford ranger i know different but i had to ad some and wala

7. blowerman

No leak, just hated to change the master and have it be something else. At least the master is cheaper than the booster.

8. carl b

carl b PlowSite.com Addict
    from Ohio

is this a 4 wheel disk ? If not my older truck needed the adjuster in the drum replaced . If it is than the parking brake should be a drum inside the rotor. so it has nothing to do with brakes . pull the abs fuse out ( the big one under the hood the new trucks all have abs problems .

Last edited: Feb 18, 2009
  9. Sydenstricker Landscaping

Sydenstricker Landscaping PlowSite Veteran

Being a 2002, it may not even have the brake booster behind the master cylinder. My 2000 does not have one, it is all hydraulic. It very well could be the master though, the o-rings on the piston could be worn enough to allow fluid to pass around them, possibly causing what you are experiencing. I think there is a block under the cab on the frame rail that all the lines plug into before going to the rest of the vehicle. Could be an issue right there. Im not 100% sure if the 3500's have 4 wheel disk.

10. blowerman

The brake booster is behind the master cylinder on my truck.
    So when the booster is shot, the pedal would be stiff?
    No pedal and the master is gone?

11. PTSolutions

PTSolutions PlowSite.com Addict

they have 4 wheel discs, 01 was the first year for the HD designation and i know for sure they all had discs after that.

12. DeereFarmer

DeereFarmer PlowSite Veteran

I bet you have a slight leak in a line somewehere. I jsut replaced a line on my '02 2500 earlier this winter. The brake pedal went to the floow and the emergency brake light was on, but it was not leaking any fluid from the reservoir. I checked the lines and there was a very small leak that was causing the problem. After closer inpsection of the resevoir I noticed that is had gone down ever so slightly. Fixed the line and it's all good now. I'd check your lines first. Doesn't hurt anything.

13. blowerman

If I was loosing fluid, wouldn't the reservoir be low? Haven't added any, but it's not low either.

14. augerandblade

augerandblade PlowSite.com Addict

my hunch wouldbe a master cylinder problem.

15. blowerman

In that case, how much does a master cost?

16. augerandblade

augerandblade PlowSite.com Addict

02 Chevy should be able to price that at a autoparts store and then compare it with GM. Hurry before they go bankrupt.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

17. ahoron

ahoron Senior Member
    from here

master cylinder part should be about 100-150. Very easy to change. Don't break the bleeder screws or your easy job just became an expensive pita. You will probably need a torch to heat up the bleeder screw on the calipers to bleed the brakes