1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

No Brake Lights

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by B&E snowplowing, Apr 1, 2010.

1. B&E snowplowing

B&E snowplowing Senior Member

1994 GMC Suburban. Found out today I have no brake lights. Running/parking light, signals, and 4ways all work fine. Checked and replaced the fuse that said BRAKE, and checked and replaced the fuse that said STOP, still no brake lights, so I bought a new brake light switch and installed that, and still no brake lights, went back out bought and installed all new light bulbs.....Guess what??? Still no brake lights. Checked wiring and grounds, checked for corrosion still nothing. Yes the third brake light works, so now I'm stumped.:dizzy:

Anyone out there that might be able to shed some light on my problem.
    Thanks
    Brian

2. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

Mine was the multifunction switch - turn, wipers, cruise.

Not cheap, not fun to replace.

3. DeereFarmer

DeereFarmer PlowSite Veteran

I was thinking the multifunction switch as well. That happened to my dad's truck. Do you have a trailer wiring plug? Are you getting power to that? Getting any power from the stop wires behind the taillight itself?

4. NICHOLS LANDSCA

NICHOLS LANDSCA PlowSite Veteran

JUST replaced the multifunction switch on the 96' yesterday. Same symptoms, $157.66 from the dealer. Takes 30min

5. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

Guess I got gouged. Paid close to $300 for a unit from Napa.....

Shop charged me an hour I think.

6. NICHOLS LANDSCA

NICHOLS LANDSCA PlowSite Veteran

If you have cruise, then it's $70-80 more. Napa was about the same price with my discount but my cousin is a service mgr at a GMC dealer, so for the same price I figured I'd go OEM:D

Last edited: Apr 3, 2010
  7. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

Yeah, I have cruise. And of course I paid "retail". Wonder why I'm doing all my own work now?

8. ajman21

ajman21 Senior Member

before u go to that trouble make sure u check the fuse under hood. not sure on ur year but my s10 same problem. both the fuses had blown under hood but in dash fuses were still good some how.

9. Stan

Stan Senior Member

ditto, had the same prob in the 99 3500. But on a 94 is there an underhood fuse panel???

10. ajman21

ajman21 Senior Member

never had a chance to look on a 94 truck but most other gm's have under hood fuses. its worth the twenty sec it takes to pop the hood and check

11. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

My 95 has an underhood fuse panel. I don't remember if my 89 did, but I don't think so. My 81 does not.

12. DeereFarmer

DeereFarmer PlowSite Veteran

I had a '93 that had an under the hood fuse panel