1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

No blade just spray???

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by asphaltca, Dec 14, 2012.

1. asphaltca

asphaltca Junior Member

Just another newbie question. I plan to stay very alert to upcoming snowfalls and do not want to physically drop a blade on a huge decorative asphalt driveway for obvious reasons.
    I have contemplated a electric deicing sprayer for silent application from my truck and both pretreat and post treat with sodium or calcium chloride.

Any comments on the turbo turf ICS-200-E or the Saltdogg bladder spray unit at twice the price without the nozzle turret?

Do I stand a chance to not have to plow? If so the best longest wetting product?

Thanks very much for your response.

2. trustyrusty

trustyrusty Senior Member

Careful there. Pretreating and deicing is one thing but to melt all snow/ice would be very costly and don't forget that if they have expensive pavers they probably have expensive landscaping as well. Too much salt could kill the plantings along the driveways. Spend some money on a poly edge.

3. White Gardens

White Gardens 2000 Club Member

That or specialize your service and only use a snowblower on the properties.

4. asphaltca

asphaltca Junior Member

Thank you for your replies.
    The decretive driveway is mine and all that is around it is grass. I have a couple small apartment buildings that I was hoping to not have to hurt the fantastic new sealing / line painting job that was just done this summer. One of theApartment building lots never really gets the sun.
    If I plow with shoes If they make a non abrasive one and then spray would that be better?

5. PR Fect

PR Fect Member

The reason for pre treating and anti-ice are different also. Poly edge on shovel, snow thrower, or plow is what most use on decorative drives and walks around our area. Pre treat or anti-ice only when its called for.

Last edited: Dec 14, 2012
  6. BigBoyPlowin

BigBoyPlowin Senior Member

what plow do u have? with my boss plows we can drop the blade click up a few times and plow majority of it away! Then salt it or shovel the rest if you like.

7. asphaltca

asphaltca Junior Member

Just an old Myers Plow. I was hoping for not having to touch the surface. I guess there is not a magical way or product out there that will work?

There was an inventor I knew once that came up with a system that you would not have to shovel. It consisted of a tank in the garage with a sensor on the eves trough that told the pump to come on when it was cold enough and there was precipitation present. A series of nozzles down each side of the driveway would pop up and spray just enough to wet the surface. The snow melted upon contact of the wet surface. I believe the product he was putting in the tank was Acetate.

The idea is great and simular to the bridge decks and airports but if a customer wanted to pay $4500 for a installed system he did not want to have to pick up a shovel. So the failure to all of this was when the city plow comes by he was not getting out.

Last edited: Dec 15, 2012
  8. White Gardens

The problem with this also is that you'll get some big and fast snowfalls where the snow won't melt fast enough.

Another thing you need to consider is that you have an environmental responsibility to only use as much product as you need. Creating salinity in our ecosystem isn't a good thing. Most sewer drains go into the water sheds.

Lastly, when it comes to seal coated lots, there isn't anything you can do to really keep it looking nice. Over time you get fading from the sun and the paint will eventually start to wear away from vehicles and such.

Salt and liquid applications also deteriorate lots worse than a snow plow. The liquid will find it's way into cracks and openings and once the liquid drops below a 23% salt content, then it will freeze causing frost heaves and pitting on poor concrete surfaces. So you really need to try and only use the minimum amount of product as you can.

As for pavers, if the pavers aren't of good quality, they will sustain almost immediate damage from the salt. I've seen cheepo pavers deteriorate into dust when the homeowner used lots of salt on them. Then comes clay pavers and it's not recommended throwing salt on those.

On top of it, when it comes to commercial lots, you need to keep it as clear as possible to avoid having any injuries and lawsuits from slip and fall claims. A steel edge is going to get it scraped to the pavement better than a poly edge.

9. BigBoyPlowin

How big is your driveway?

I'll build you a stationary liquid setup for your garage..it consist of Heated Liquid Calcium chloride/ brine in a tank that is connected to a pump where you can then spray your driveway....

You're contracted to PLOW THE SNOW... The normal plow shouldn't remove the painted lines or asphalt sealer.

Last edited: Dec 15, 2012
  10. leigh

leigh PlowSite.com Addict
    from CT

Short answer-No chance

11. NorthernSvc's

NorthernSvc's Senior Member

im just gonna be blunt... but this is by far one of the worst ideas i have heard in a long time.... if you really want no accumulation get an in ground heated driveway... or do it by hand... your gonna blow through so much de-icer it's not even funny not to mention all the damage it will do... dumb dumb dumb...
    buy a $20.00 dollar shovel and be done with it.

12. NorthernSvc's

or just put a poly edge on your plow

13. asphaltca

asphaltca Junior Member

Thank you for your honest answers. How long can you expect a poly edge on a blade to last?
    I thought that the liquid calcium if applied before a storm would keep up with the average snow fall.
    So the liquid application is solely for deicing and not melting a new snowfall?
    Should I be looking at a salter/sander? I was looking at the Snowdogg TGS07 Would like some recommendations on tailgate spreader and a small spray unit.
    Thanks again for you input

14. NorthernSvc's

our driveways trucks all have poly edges on them for this reason, last several seasons. pre treating does help but you wont burn that much...also very dependent on temperature... to many factors and calcium is extremely pricey...

15. asphaltca

asphaltca Junior Member

Thanks but what about my thoughts on the equipment any preferences for spray equipment or tailgate spreader?
    I have a 15 gpm 12 volt fuel pump although only designed for 30 minute cycles I would be well finished spraying my projects by then. I have been known to be pretty handy and posses my own totes so maybe it's off to the hardware store. Thoughts please.

16. BigBoyPlowin

I get my brine for 15 cents a gallon... So it still cost less than. Bag of rock

17. asphaltca

asphaltca Junior Member

Equipment thoughts?

18. White Gardens

Start beefing up on KUBOTA's threads in the ice control section.

19. leigh

leigh PlowSite.com Addict
    from CT

Probalbly an old meyers plow would be the best. Pre and post treatment with an liquid or granular product.If you fight it you can win your battle with OCD. We're here to offer all the support you need :dizzy:

20. leolkfrm

leolkfrm PlowSite.com Addict

make a removable rubber edge for the plow....then a product such as bare ground...can use it as a pretreat too