1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

No angle on western plow??

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by EPS, Nov 16, 2007.

1. EPS

EPS Member

I have an old western plow. The up and down works great but I cant get it to angle either way. What would cause this?:confused:

2. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

When you say "old" I assume you mean old enough to be a cable controlled pump..

More than likely the angle control cable is broken inside the sheath somewhere..
    Pull the cover plate off the side of the pump where the cable enters the pump (the pentagon shaped one is the angle cover) and have a helper move the control left and right while you watch the end of the cable....
    Does the end of the cable in the pump move? I think your gonna find that it doesn't..

You'll need to replace the control cable....

3. EPS

EPS Member

I will check into that ,but, I dont think its that. When I try to angle the plow the motor runs and the lights dim. As the motor is running I could assume the cable is fine right?

4. wild bill

wild bill PlowSite.com Addict

misdirection

on a cable operated plow the plow motor can still run because the control platen is making contact inside the controller and it ground's the solenoid allowing the motor to run . the cable just open's a valve and allow's oil to flow to the selected cylinder .

5. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

No, just like wildbill said, the electric part of the control function is in the in cab controller itself. The motor will still run even if the control cables are completely removed from the pump. That's why you need to remove the cover plate and physically watch the cable for movement out at the pump.

6. jschultheis

jschultheis Junior Member

NO Angle on Western Plow

I have an old plow with hydraulic that is attached to the bumper. The blade goes up and down and when I try to have it go side to side the hydraulic just runs and the blade does not move. Let me know what it might be. Thanks

7. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Is it a Western? If so, then more than likely it's the same thing that's probably wrong on EPS's plow.

8. EPS

EPS Member

I'm going to check it out monday thanks for the help guys.:)

9. EPS

EPS Member

No angle western

OK I checked what you said up above and the cable is not broken it moves fine, but I still get no angle. Also once in awhile when putting the blade up its slow to respond until I put it back in the float position then hit it up again then it goes up as normal. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

10. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

How much does the cable and the lever actually travel when you work it? It need's to move about 5/16" up and down from center. If it does, then it's all good and the the next likely candidate is a bad quick coupler on one of the angle hoses...

Your occasional slow lift is due to a lift cable problem.. it's either worn/stretched or just need's a slight adjustment. The lift cable "pushes" the lever when in the raise function so if theirs any slack in it it will always show up as a raise problem rather than a lower problem, since all it has to do in the lower function is to pull the lever, which is less affected by any slack in the worn cable.

11. EPS

EPS Member

How do I adjust the cable for the lift. And I think it must be a coupler for the angle because the cable for angle moves alot probably more then 5/16". It did move about like 2 inches once now it wont move at all.(the angle that is)

12. pontiac467

pontiac467 Junior Member

i have the same problem and cant figure it out i have a conventional and when you go to raise it or angle it sometimes it doesnt work you can hear the motor running though. Lets say i go to raise it and it wont go i have to move the controler like im going to lower it and then slam it up to get it to raise same way if im angleing it sometimes i have to move it left to right a few times before it starts to move. Then there are times the plow works awsome with no problems lifting or angling, anybody know what this could be, thanks

13. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

It's a control problem also, when these things get old and worn out, the cables get sloppy in the cable plate in the bottom of the joystick, plus the cables themselves wear and stretch making the control functions less than precise....

Both the cables and the cable plate in the joystick can be replaced, and you'd be surprised at how well they work with a fresh plate and 2 new cables that are properly adjusted...

14. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Here's the Western manual for the cable pumps..it will give you all the details on the cable adjustments. You might want to download it and save it for future reference. http://www.westernplows.com/pdf/62880.pdf
    That's a classic symptom of a defective quick coupler right there....

15. EPS

EPS Member

Thanks for the help B&B I will start working on all that as soon as it stops raining.

16. birddseedd

birddseedd PlowSite Veteran

how does the adjustment on the lift cable work? had to tap out larger cable stay screws and the screw pushes the angle cable into a place that makes it a bit more diffacult to Angel left. I'm hoping I can fix it with the cable adjustment. the cable sits slightly higher in the pump housing than it should.