1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

no angle = no money

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by pasto_guy, Sep 17, 2003.

1. pasto_guy

pasto_guy Member

I've searched to no avail. Just bought an older truck with a plow. Have two other plows but are meyers so can't really relate this problem with Meyer. All the hydrolics under the hood say Monarch. Up and down with the plow work, although very slow and jerky going up. Left and right both do not work. Lines look rather old and almost dryrotting. When the switch is hit for left and right there is noise but no action. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

2. Got Grass?

Got Grass? Senior Member

If there is noise then it usually means the pump is working so I would start out by replacing the hoses. What ever the problem is you need to replace the hoses if they are in the condition you say they are. That may solve the problem right there.
    Most defiantly you must change the fluid & clean out or replace all filters.

We have no clue as to how much you know about plow so lets start with the basics... Any other info about the plow or truck would be a great help to diagnose the problem.

BTW: welcome to PS... It would be a great help if you also changed your location & listed your city/state instead of "5" that is no hep to us...
    :)

Last edited: Sep 17, 2003
  3. KL3

KL3 Junior Member

Check to make sure the lines are connected to the truck completely.
    Sounds simple but one time I spent a 1/2 hour at the welding shop after a repair trying to figure out why the plow would not angle. All it was was one hose was not on completely even though I thought it was.

Good Luck

4. snowjoker

snowjoker Senior Member

Did you chrck you plow fluid level?? If it is low it will do that. you could also take off one of the hoses at the cylinder and bump the pump to see if the fluid comes out. That would tell ya if the pump is flowing good. Another thing could be a sticky valve.

5. Pelican

Pelican 2000 Club Member

If the plow has been idle for a while, I'd supect the solenoid valves are stuck. I'm not sure if these can be serviced or will need replaced.

6. CT18fireman

CT18fireman Banned

Could also be the rams themselves. You may need to loosne the large packing nus on the rams and work the blade back and forth by hand (bodyweight) to free it. I have even seen people rocking one end of the blade against a large immovable object. Once you get it moving the retighten the nuts until the rams are stiff but still movable.

7. Pelican

Pelican 2000 Club Member

I've used the same trick to pop open a stuck valve. This was on a pump like you describe.

8. wyldman

wyldman Member

Welcome to Plowsite :waving:

I'd replace the hoses and couplers,and then drain\flush and bleed the system.You may just have a bad coupler or air in the angle rams.

9. pasto_guy

pasto_guy Member

Thanks for all the help, I replaced the hoses and changed fluid. Works like a charm. Thanks again