1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

no air filter?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by juggernaut, Jan 28, 2004.

1. juggernaut

juggernaut Member

I am not sure if this is the right place for this but here goes, I have an 8hp Tecumseh snow king engine mounted to an MTD two stage snow thrower. It seems to have come from the factory without an air filter on the engine. Isn't this extremely bad for the engine with all that moist air going into the engine? Does anyone have any insight as to why it was designed this way? I very much appreciate the information on this site it is very valuable.
  2. 04superduty

04superduty PlowSite.com Addict

i use a toro single stage and it also has now air filter. I guess the environment isnt dusty enough to have an air filter for the engine. :D :D
  3. PLOWMAN45

PLOWMAN45 2000 Club Member

that is strange maybe call mtd and ask them my two stage has a air filter
  4. 4speed

4speed Member

None of my blowers ever came with an air filter. There should be a cover over the carb to keep the snow out and that is really enough. Dirt and dust are the problem and you just don't have much of that blowing around like you do with a lawnmower.
  5. streetsurfin'

streetsurfin' Senior Member

I have an idea that may be the reason for this. Yesterday I was running the fuel out of my leaf blower and the air filter iced up in an area close to the carb throat. I think it's like when you drain your compressor and the valve ices up from thepressure dropping so fast thru a small orifice. The air filters are in effect a bunch of small orifices.
  6. Edgewater

Edgewater Member

Don't worry,

The cover on the carb (heater box) keeps 90% of the snow out of the carb. An air filter will not take any moisture out of the air.
  7. Bolts Indus.

Bolts Indus. PlowSite.com Addict

Having an air filter on a blower would ice up solid in blowing snow and soon choke the engine. Not much dust in winter.
  8. juggernaut

juggernaut Member

Thanks for the info guys, appreciate it.