1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

No 4x4

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by creative cuts, Feb 23, 2013.

1. creative cuts

creative cuts Junior Member
    from indiana

Stupid question, but anyone plow with no 4x4?
    Mine went out 2 winters ago and never have fixed it but as long as i have 500 pounds of salt in bed i can push about anything. No need to dog me bout it, i've heard it all plenty of times

2. BC Handyman

BC Handyman PlowSite.com Addict

I don't cause I have it, but many guys here do only have 2wd & they don't ever have problems unless they get crazy snow amounts or drive into ditches or banks.

3. jdo150

jdo150 Member

With a full v box spreader I only use 4x4 on two steep drives I plow other wise I'm in 2wd

4. ducaticorse

ducaticorse PlowSite.com Addict
    from we

I only put it in 4wd when absolutely necessary. Which is often. I would not go out plowing without it. There is more to 4wd than just front and back traction. It effects the ability to steer in tight places greatly. I work in an urban environment where there is little room to maneuver, and 4wd is crucial to do so.

5. NBI Lawn

NBI Lawn PlowSite.com Addict

I still don't get this. I run an 07 chev crew/short, 9' Hiniker scoop, Duramax with 540lbs of sand bags in the box just behind the axle. I "can" push snow that way but it seems hard on the truck to spin the tires and thw n have them catch. I also can't stack for crap

6. shovelracer

shovelracer Senior Member

I personally spend most of my time in 2 wheel. I also do not make a habit of spinning the tires. Really depends on the storm. There are a few times it has saved me though and even a few times it wasn't enough. Now if I did not have it and knew I didn't than I also would not put the vehicle in certain positions either. Nothing worse than being stuck in the middle of a storm or at 3 AM.

7. geer hed

geer hed Senior Member

Yes you can plow with only 2WD. I do most of my plowing in 2WD, but it is definataly nice to have 4WD when you do need it.
    My one cousin broke the front axle shaft in his truck one year, we took the truck back to his shop, pulled both shafts, threw weight in the back, a set of chains on the rear wheels and he finished the season like that, and pushed just as much snow as he did with 4WD.

8. ducaticorse

from we

Yeah, with chains dude. You can't rock those things everywhere.

9. geer hed

geer hed Senior Member

Your right you can't. I was just saying what he did to get through.

10. jasonv

jasonv PlowSite.com Addict
    from kannada

Plowing in 2wd puts more stress on the truck's frame than plowing in 4wd. Reason is that you're pushing right through the entire length of the frame. In 4wd, the front does most of the work, and the plow frame push bars bolt right up to the same points where the front suspension bolts up. That pretty well removes all the stress from the truck's frame.

11. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

Hummmm. More stress in 2wd plowing???
    And if you putting pwr out to the front and rear equally how does the front end up doing more work?
    My plow don't bolt to anything close to the suspension. Nor do boss or Western. I think that's just the Meyer bolting to things they shouldn't

12. 1olddogtwo

1olddogtwo PlowSite Fanatic

Hahahaha that's funny

13. jb1390

jb1390 Senior Member

What about when you turn in 4x4?

And why haven't I broken any frames pulling a 14k pound trailer when only in 2wd? I can guarantee there is more stress put through "the whole truck frame" by the back axle than when I am pushing snow on a slippery surface in 4wd.

No need to post in every thread when you don't have any idea what you're talking about.

On the topic at hand, when I plowed the church parking lot, I pushed most of the time in 2wd when I was on the flat. I also ran a v box partly loaded, and the weight made all the difference. On my driveways with hills and turns, I would get stuck about 50 times a snow event if I didn't have 4x4. Chains would make it possible, but as has been stated, you can't run them all the time, and the rattle would drive me crazy. My flat driveways with less than 6" of snow would be easy with 2wd, but that's not the route I run.

14. jb1390

jb1390 Senior Member

Nope, not meyer, just another post in another thread that he doesn't know what he's talking about.

15. dieselss

Meyer used to bolt through the steering gear box on the one that we had. 01 3500hd (old b/s). One of the reasons we got Rid of it.

16. jb1390

jb1390 Senior Member

I did swap an old meyer e 47 from my 98 onto my 93 2500, the western unimount was a much, much better plow. I honestly don't remember if they used one of the steering box bolts, I guess it's possible. :salute: Regardless, plowing in 2wd or 4wd wouldn't make any difference whatsoever on the stress that the steering box would see as a result of pushing snow.

My 2500hd had a meyer mount (4 pin style) on it when I bought it, and that just bolted to the frame (no steering box bolts or anything). Took that off and put on the new style meyer with my V2, and that bolts through the frame in 2 spots sideways, then one bolt from underneath, then there is a push frame that connects to the front crossmember. And again, 2wd or 4wd makes no difference on the stress that the frame will see. I guess 4wd might be slightly worse because ramming speed could be achieved with a bit more ease. :help:

17. dieselss

Ramming speed cpt. I can just here it now. But I used 4x4 so that means I can go faster right? But it makes it hard to steer? Is something wrong?

18. tjctransport

tjctransport PlowSite.com Addict

in 40 years of plowing, i may have put my trucks in 4 wheel drive 4-5 times. and as soon as i am off the ice it goes back into 2 wheel drive.

19. jb1390

jb1390 Senior Member

That "hard to steer" binding and ball joint/cv joint/u joint popping sound is being caused by the frame being under such low stress levels. :laughing:

20. ducaticorse

from we

U must have a pretty tit route. 40 years and have only used 4wd 5 times?