1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

No 4X4 light

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by abbert55, Feb 23, 2008.

1. abbert55

abbert55 Senior Member

I have a 96 K2500HD and the other day the 4X4 indicator light quit working. I've checked the bulb and it's good. I got it up on a hoist and looked for loose wires or anything amiss but didn't see anything. It has a floor shift not pushbuttons. Where should I look next? Any help would be greatly appreciated, Thanx, Al

2. lawnmasters2006

lawnmasters2006 Senior Member

Pull The Carpet Back On The Drivers Side...the Wires Run Under There,about Were Your Foot Always Ride For The Gas Pedal...ive Seen A Few Of Them W Wire Bare An Grounded Out Under There....

3. mike33087

mike33087 Senior Member

check the fuse for the light

4. abbert55

abbert55 Senior Member

Thanx Guy's, I'll check both this afternoon:waving:

5. Alaska Boss

Alaska Boss PlowSite.com Addict
    from Alaska

All my early-90's Chevys (not sure if it was still the same in '96, but probably) have a small plunger-switch mounted into the front axle housing right above the actuator, with 2 wires coming out of it. The sole purpose of this switch is to turn on the 4x4 light on your floor panel. The plunger itself is made out of plastic, and eventually wears down, and soon won't engage enough with the actuator, to turn your light on. (it works like the dome light/door switch). I've had this happen twice, so if everything else checks out, pull that switch out, engage the switch, and if your light comes on, then you know that your switch has worn down too much. Hope that helps if nothing else has worked yet,... :salute:

6. abbert55

abbert55 Senior Member

Thanks Boss, I'll be sure to check it also. I'm glad to finally leard how it was actuated. Makes sense cause the light won't illuminate till the actuator is fully engaged.