1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

no 4x4 after dealer work

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by younggun86, Dec 19, 2008.

1. younggun86

younggun86 Junior Member

i just got my truck back from the dealer tuesday. Took 3 days to replace my water pump and oil cooler lines which were under warranty. The road i work on didn't get plowed so i decided to try out my 4x4. The truck is a 04 2500HD with the floor shift transfer case. i went to shift it and it shifted...just didn't engage. Anyone ever have this issue? I've heard about the electric actuators going out but i don't have one. I don't want to drive another 50 miles and be stuck in a car for a week.

2. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

Hubs locking in?

3. younggun86

younggun86 Junior Member

doesn't have locking hubs. the only thing i can narrow it down to is broken shifter fork inside of the linkage is slipping. hopefully tomorrow is kind of dry and warmish so i get get under and look into it.

4. Lifted4x4Astro

Lifted4x4Astro Senior Member

Don't forget about the front axle actuator. I don't know how the HD's do it but there is definitely an actuator on the passenger front axle shaft.

5. younggun86

younggun86 Junior Member

it's a manual transfer case...i shift with a lever, no buttons involved. the only wires i saw when i glanced at it was a sensor in the side of the case. i played with it on ice by work today and it doesn't feel like i'm moving anything when i shift. I'm cutting my job box out of the bed today so i'll dig into it then.

6. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

You may have a manually actuated transfer case, but the front axle is engaged electrically. Check your fuses to start.

7. younggun86

younggun86 Junior Member

my apologies to all...the mechanic did the right thing and tied the wire out of the way. problem is it was way out of the way. This is the first 4x4 i've ever owned let alone worked on. Now if only i could get a plow i'd be set.