1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

No 4whl drivw after storm on 02/01

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by kbsnow, Feb 5, 2011.

1. kbsnow

kbsnow Senior Member
    from Chicago

Well my truck made it through the storm. Had many 4ft drift and the truck worked flawless. The truck sat for a day, and Thursday I went to plow a friend out, and NO FRONT axle. So I logged into PlowSite and did a search. I wound up taking out the actuator, inserting a lugnut as many guys suggested, and it locked the front axle as stated. I now have a cheap fix until some of the plow money comes in and I can buy a new actuater.

2. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

I did not even start to read this before I looked at the bottom to see what truck you had. It's so common I bet guys that have multiple trucks have a new one on standby.
  3. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

Glad it worked for you. I like the instant 4wd so much, I just leave the spacer in all winter.
  4. Bmxdkj

Bmxdkj Member

Electric actuators from Auto Zone are around 120 in my area. A lot cheaper than replacing front axles or a drive shaft. If you haven't done the update with the new harness you'll need that as well. I just replaced mine this storm as well. Simple and cheap fix.
  5. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

What does the actuator have to do with replacing axles and driveshafts?

Also, the new harness is not a necessity.....
    Last edited: Feb 7, 2011