1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

no 4wd

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by wild bill, Dec 31, 2009.

1. wild bill

wild bill PlowSite.com Addict

hey guy's i am trying this long distance for my nephew in Indiana .he has a 1989 k1500 4x4 just bought it (no history ) rear Axel drives no problem ,front Axel no ! he checked all the fuses ,ok! replaced the actuator on the front Axel because he heard the went bad ,no dice .the 4x4 indicator light work's some time's ,it will shift the thing ok on the floor into all the different ranges of the transfer case . no noises or banging ,just looking for idea's to tell him .thanks for any help:help:

2. Sydenstricker Landscaping

Sydenstricker Landscaping PlowSite Veteran

Good possibility there is no power getting down to the front diff actuator

3. thesnowman269

thesnowman269 Senior Member

jack it on all fours and make sure when you do this that it is facing out of the garage and the garage door is open incase it desides to tke off somehow. check to see if the front driveshaft is spinning. if no then he busted his transfercase. If is is spinning then double even triple check that the actuator is working properly. Try and watch to see if it is working properly with out getting under the truck. It it isnt working scrap the actuator and engage the front front axle if possible manually. If this still does not work check to see what it costs to have your front differential rebuilt. I am currently having the same problem. However it is on a Ford. Goodluck

4. Thermos017

Thermos017 Member

at the top of the transfer case near the shift linkage there is a switch that screws into the t-case. has 2 or 3 wires to it. that switch is what sends the signal to the actuator to engage the front diff, as well as sending the signal to the 4wd light on the electronic actuated models. test the switch and you'll probably find your problem.

Last edited: Dec 31, 2009
  5. Thermos017

Thermos017 Member

here is a little more info... if the switch has 2 wires, you may find 2 switches... one for the light and one for the actuator. if it has 3 wires it controls the switch and the light. here is what it looks like:

[​IMG]
    <hr>
    this is the 3 wire switch. Napa part # ECH FWD16
    [​IMG]
    <hr>
    here is another 3 wire switch, Napa part # BK 6002936
    [​IMG]
    <hr>
    this is the 2 wire switch for the actuator, Napa part # BK 6002939
    [​IMG]
    <hr>

I recomend the parts with P/N starting in BK. Those are Balkamp #'s, and Doorman brand parts. the one with the P/N starting with ECH is an Echlin part. the ECH costs twice as much, and in my experience Echlin parts don't last worth a damn

6. wild bill

wild bill PlowSite.com Addict

no 4x4

thanks guy's i will forward this to him .

7. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

Bill - I posted a "quick fix" for him over there.