1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

NJ Salt Prices...

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by NJ Plowman, Dec 11, 2003.

1. NJ Plowman

NJ Plowman Senior Member

I pay about $4.10 per 50lb bag from Jersey Chemical in Paterson for Mortons by the pallet or about $5 per 50lb bag of rock salt at Loews/Home Depot. Any body know any cheaper places in Bergen/Hudson Counties in New Jersey? I don't use alot, just need about a pallet at a time.
  2. Turfmower

Turfmower Senior Member

Im getting it between 3.50 and 4.30 ber bag Per pallet quanitys. Homedump is exspensive and they wont even put it in truck with fork lift.

the best price i got is From Shemins nursey. Also check out Lesco.
  3. SCL

SCL Senior Member

Why don't you try like an Ace Hardware or somewhere that sells softener salt?
    Not saying to use SS, but they get deliveries all the time and will get you what you want. Mine got me two pallets of Halite, good price too, and loads in my truck with his forklift. Sometimes those mom and pop types get forgotten, but are worth the look.
  4. NNJSnow

NNJSnow Senior Member

I know a place you can get 50lb bag of calcium for $11.25 a bag.
  5. NJ Plowman

NJ Plowman Senior Member

No calcium, we need CHEAP 50lb bags of ROCK SALT ! Come on guy's, where can I get CHEAP SALT in Hudson or Bergen Counties?:help:
  6. landman

landman Senior Member
    from NJ

no such thing as "cheap" salt at this point of the season. 2 events already in December your gonna pay a premium now. You best bet is order salt in september or october and order in quantity. I know if we go to morton in the next town over we buy direct it is a minimum of 6 pallet pickup (at 1 time) and we pay like $2.35 per 50 lb bag. then all we do is unload the pallets and stack them in our shop and load in the trucks as needed. I know the local suppplier around here sells the same bags for $3.50 each up until october 31st then he raises his price to $4.50 per bag after that. morton keeps the same price allyear for us the only problem is if you need salt after the first storm they are swamped and you place your order and go down and get on line and sometimes you may be sitting on line for 5 or 6 hrs to get loaded. That is why we stock up on salt early. plus we only use about 6 skids all season because we only have 2 tailgate salters, the rest of our salting is done with bulk salt and 6 Vbox spreaders. When the bags run out we use bulk.
  7. SWC

SWC Senior Member
    from VA

I saw Ice-A-Way 50lb bag for $4.78 at Tractor Supply.

That's the best price I've found so far.

I don't know if they give a discount by the pallet, but I'll check once they reopen.

$2.50 per 50lb bag is what I'm looking for.:nod:
    Last edited: Dec 25, 2003
  8. greenworldh20

greenworldh20 Member

sams club in middletown, ny sells sodium/calicum cholorade 50 pound bags for $5.47/bag....they will load with forklift, too.

9. SWC

SWC Senior Member
    from VA

I found a local place today, they'll sell me a pallet with 40 - 50lb bags of rock salt for $165.00 and they'll load it.

That's about $4.12 a bag.

I called Tractor supply, they said around $3 to $4 per 50lb bag. The manager is out till Monday, so I'll have to wait to get the pallet rate.

$3 to $4 per bag isn't too bad, I might be able to get it for my target price by the pallet.