1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

NJ plowers with amber lights need to fill this form out?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Ramairfreak98ss, Jul 14, 2008.

1. Ramairfreak98ss

Ramairfreak98ss PlowSite.com Addict

2. F250 Boss v

F250 Boss v Senior Member

I read it and became confused on the part about 'governmental agency contract'... Does that mean if you do NOT have a gov. contract you do not need to apply? I don't think we have any such requirement in NYS... -Yet! -Good luck.
  3. iceyman

iceyman 2000 Club Member

whose gonna say anyhting when your out plowing at 3 am
  4. elite1msmith

elite1msmith 2000 Club Member
    from chicago

call the number on the form i guess, but thats just goffy

and yeah 3AM, i dont think so...next year this "permit" will not be free, and might cost ...lol uncle sam -
  5. WetChicken

WetChicken Senior Member

Ok, when did amber become and emergency color?? lol
  6. Ramairfreak98ss

Ramairfreak98ss PlowSite.com Addict

thats mainly what i was thinking, and yeah, sounds like theres some confusion about the government contracts and such?

I've never been bothered last year, and i have one of the brightest, Whelen Liberty LFL LED 12 diode light bars, its frekkin bright!
  7. Wicked500R

Wicked500R Senior Member

Technically, Ambers are Illegal in NJ unless your a tow company or Municipal vehicle, or a contractor working for the state... IE.. Sanzari working on the GSP.. Some towns do bust balls ... trust me, I know.... I have a Whelen Patriot mini strobe/ led combo that is brighter than most full size bars I've seen.... I only throw it on when I'm at the site... unless it is blizzard conditions... then I'll leave it on all the time....I've never got busted but heard from enough people about it. I work for the municipal of my town and I do have a permit in the glove box for my work truck.
  8. groundbreakers

groundbreakers Senior Member

whew .... glad i dont live in new jersey .... i never heard of such things ... but get this one ... Detroit, MI .. has just issued a bike license plate law .... every bike no matter who own it .. must have a bike license $ 1 for a year ... and if dont have one its a $60 fine ....
  9. dumper

dumper Junior Member

Amber Light info from a few years ago......

MUST have a permit in NJ!!!

To get a permit to use an amber light for plowing or sanding, you MUST have a contract with a GOVERNMENT agency!!

Permit has to be obtained from the Cheif of Police in the town it is being used in.

Penalty is quite high for use without a permit. MANDATORY court appearance if you get a ticket!!

Odds are you will never get caught, but if you do it will be a problem!!

Registered User Join Date: Jan 2005

Read NJ law carefully.............

commercial plates etc applies to tow trucks.

Spin it all you want, to be on a public road and have an amber light on your truck, turned on or turned off, you need a permit.

To get the permit, you need to be a tow truck or service vehicle, or have a snow contract with a government agency.

Regardless, you MUST get the application signed by a Police Chief.
  10. gkm

gkm Senior Member

don't you just love the wisdom of state government?:dizzy:
  11. draffinc

draffinc Member

The other option for private contractors in our state is that you are allowed to mount it on you vehicle and use it on private property (ie snow plowing etc) however when you leave and go on public roads it must be removed or covered up. Not that anyone does this.....Another way , and this is how two of our permits are filed is that the vehicle is classified as a "service vehicle" (mechanics truck) that may be used for road side service of your fleet. (mechanics truck/tire service) This is an allowable option but i don't think its going to fly with more than two units unless you are a road side service type of business.

Theres always the hide a strobes in the front and rear vehicle lights....

12. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

All states should have this......

Maybe it would stop the guy from thinking that just because he has a plow on his truck that he can run his lights from start up to shut down.

That they are warring lights for vehicles that are actually engaged in snow removal operations and not just driving around..
  13. oman1999

oman1999 Senior Member

I don't know about you. But when I'm running around in a heavy snowstorm with a 6000 pound truck and a plow and salt usually going below the posted speed limit...I keep my Amber lights on especially at night.

Don't know how many accidents I've come across in the winter and it was a rear-ender because the second driver couldn't see the first one through all the snow. I'd rather be in violation of the law "technically" than have my rig smashed up.

Then again, I'm in IL and the local PD could care less about amber lights. Just don't have loud fart-can exhaust and a tail-light out. Ha.
  14. Ipushsnow

Ipushsnow Senior Member

I've seen the leave the light on-turn it off issue debated on here numerous times. I will be honest, I turn mine on and leave it on until I am done plowing. Why? For one reason and one reason alone: I know I will forget to turn it on when I get to the next account, and I figure I stand a much bigger risk of getting a ticket for plowing without it on then I will for having it on and not plowing. Just my two cents.