1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

NJ plow/laws/ordinances

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by SIXINAROW1, Feb 10, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

SIXINAROW1 Junior Member

I think this is in the wrong section so please delete or redirect
    I live in NJ across the street from a decent apartment complex. No riff raff etc
    The management company plows the lot. When we have a lot of snow they push it across a four lane road onto my property. I've called them countless times about doing this without a call back
    Does anyone know of a law or ordinance that I could send them or my township police department to have them stop?
    It seems that it is the easiest way to clear their enterance to the complex but wrong IMO. Enterance ways have always been easy for me to plow regardless of the amount of snow that fell
    I might be a ***** but I like my lawn where they put the snow and it getting costly for me to fix stuff after they do the snow removal
  2. P.L.

P.L. Member
    from usa

Why not put up heavy stakes at the edge of the lawn so they can't put snow on the lawn.
  3. derekslawncare

derekslawncare PlowSite.com Addict

Start sending them bills for your lawn repairs in the spring with a friendly note from your attorney accompanying them and I'd be willing to bet the management company finds a different spot next winter.
  4. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

Not sure it's really legal in any state.

Stakes or boulders. Big boulders.

Or..........if you have a plow, start moving it back into their entrance.

Or all of the above.
  5. derekslawncare

Oh, I like the return to sender theory also. Maybe make a recording of Elvis's song, walk across the street, into the office and hand it to the manager while saying "here ya go, something for you to listen to while I work." Then turn and walk out without saying anything else. Slowly walk back across the street giving them enough time to scratch their heads and start playing your recording. Then jump in your truck and with a huge grin on your face by now, do as the music says. LOL
    Last edited: Feb 11, 2016
  6. Randall Ave

Randall Ave PlowSite.com Addict

I'm sure your town has an ordinance on pushing snow across the road. Film it, then call the police. If they do not do anything. Go to your next town council meeting and pitch a bi$ch.
  7. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

Quite often just the threat will work.

Had a fellow contractor that plowed a private road that he had and 1 account, I had 3. He would get there after I was and fill in the drives by windrowing it all towards 2 of my 3 accounts. I had to go back a few times to clean approaches.

I finally caught him one night and told him if we hadn't plowed, it was fine to windrow it that way. But I told him if I had already plowed and he filled in the approaches again I was going to take every flake of snow from my accounts and put it in the approaches of his 1 account.

Never had to clean them oot again.
  8. derekslawncare

I went back and added to it. (-:
  9. leigh

leigh PlowSite.com Addict
    from CT

I would just call them and voice your concerns.Had a company push snow across street to one of my accounts sidewalk area 6' high with a loader.Talked to management company for that property and it never happened again.Never got to implement my dastardly evil plans :angry::angry:
  10. maxwellp

maxwellp PlowSite.com Addict

After way too many years plowing snow I have done this and it works, but may not work for you.

I have this one lot that has only a few feet of grass to the next lot that I do not plow. The owner of my lot has a large back lot with grass and likes all the snow pushed to the back. Now the guy next door fills the small grass area between the lots also pushing the snow onto my lot out about 10 feet. I tried the please don't do that - did not work. They must like sleeping in, I can always beat him there and for the first few snows I stack a snow wall in the grass there. Now he can't push it there or on my lot.
  11. icebreaker

icebreaker Member

Drive 2inch schedule forty pipe 3 foot in ground and let stick up about a foot problem solved
  12. Petr51488

Petr51488 Senior Member

Pipes are great idea except that they will look like crap, and if a car goes to park there and hits them- you're liable. Sidewalk-curb is not your property. Either way- you cant push snow across the street.
  13. Surfdunn

Surfdunn Member

Check with city ordinances. One of my guys received a ticket for doing this 2 years ago when we were getting hammered with snow. He got lazy and a cop seen him pushing it across the street and ticketed him. With knowing cherry hill and there bs I'm sure they have some law on it. Most likely the officer has to see it happening to issue the ticket.

SIXINAROW1 Junior Member

All great responses I've caught them before and called. With never a call back as it's probably a different operator. When I had my plow I would wait till he did it and put the snow from the 4 lane road back if front of the enterance By the time he came back he must have been HUH? How'd that get there?
    I'll stop at my police station and municipal facility and ask
    Next snow I have a friend that will push as much as we can get back onto their property
  15. knuckles

knuckles Junior Member

What's up sixinarow1, I live in cherry hill and our company plows all over SJ. One of our plow operators got a ticket last year in Lawnside at one of our really tight spots that has a vacant lot across the street. I'm pretty sure it's prohibited in most towns around SJ. I'd definitely stop in the police/municipal complex.

During the big storm a few weeks ago, I actually saw a contractor plow across rt. 70 near the McDonalds just before Marlton and push his piles onto the center median.
  16. NThill93

NThill93 Member

can't push the snow across the street on long island NY saw a cop try to ticket a friend for this
  17. Ramairfreak98ss

Ramairfreak98ss PlowSite.com Addict

contact the property owner who hired them... we had jokers two weeks ago, in the big NJ storm, plow the whole entrance out of a USPS center, plow across the street and right next to the mailbox to the property we plow, and covered the entire sidewalk "ill find a photo and upload it here later", so we snow blowed the walkway to the pile and stopped... two days later, i got in touch with the postmaster at the office at 8am, and explained to her, she fought me the whole time about how shes not sure why/how/when they would have done that etc.. defending the crap out of them. so basically i said look "They either move it by Friday -two days later- or we move it and i send you the bill, and you WONT like my invoice for $10,000 to bring out a machine to move the snow. lol, excessive yes.

They could move it anywhere they wanted to, even keep it on the property we service, but need to move the pile so people can walk down the sidewalk.. the snow jockeys must have come out because by saturday, it looked like they hand shoveled it all through the sidewalk... I'm sure they wont' do it again.

But yes, in worse situations and higher traffic areas, we would have just removed , taken all the photos, documented what they did, and then sent the usps a bill. Its easier to get them to take care of it and not get into a court battle later, since you know they' WONT pay the bill.

Years ago, 2009, we had a company in south NJ, purposely plow an entrance shut to a site we handled, with a loader and 16' push box.. stacked 8' tall or more, we needed to bring in a machine after 23" of snow and bucket it all out. It was a rather nasty battle with the other company in court even years later. In the end, we coudln't open the place up until a day later, lost that account and the other site for the same company "both $50-100k sites per season", and didn't get much in the end after all the legal expenses, but far more than the $2100 we billed the other company for doing what they did. I believe that they assumed, Brickmans was still doing the property we serviced and figured "theyd get back and them" maybe brickmans did that to them previously? These situations can go from "minor" to major depending on the site.
  18. Ramairfreak98ss

Ramairfreak98ss PlowSite.com Addict

Knuckles, PM me when you have time. I know the company that does mcdonalds, or most of them, nothing positive to say about them but thats funny you say that because i saw that after the big storm and laughed, assuming they had to go all across rt 70 to get the snow there !

Most towns and the state statute prohibit snow by a "commercial contractor" from plowing snow INTO "depositing it into a roadway", but i know there is another statute that says you cannot take snow from one private property and deposit it onto another.
  19. john r

john r Senior Member
    from NJ

Call the cops and have them cited with trespassing and illegal dumping to start. Also put a sign up "No Trespassing" and "No Dumping". Now you got em. Take pictures after each event and date. It's best to get "action" shots of the plow truck in action. If you don't, a lawyer can say it was some one else who did it. Get a copy of the plow companies certificate of insurance from the customer. Get estimates for all damage repairs.
    Last edited: Feb 15, 2016
  20. jasonv

jasonv PlowSite.com Addict
    from kannada

Regardless of what the law states, there is a certain etiquette when it comes to pushing snow across the road.
    1) With authorization -- ask the property owner for permission IN ADVANCE, and respect it,
    2) Within reason. I.e., it won't be disruptive or have someone responsible for the property who might get pissed off.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.