1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

nj- northeast, Where is the salt?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Ramairfreak98ss, Feb 18, 2015.

1. Ramairfreak98ss

Ramairfreak98ss PlowSite.com Addict

We've had bulk salt orders in since 1/30... 19 days later were told two weeks before its even brought to the ship yard to load on trucks for delivery.. in mid March they'd have to pay me to take it.

Last season we used up over 800 tons, this year so far only 150, and can't get any more? I spotted a "temporary " road dept. Salt pile off i295 south of Trenton nj with fifteen plus trucks lined up at 7am dumping off for DOT with a loader stacking it.....so there is salt obviously but no contractors can buy any?

I was told it all went north to boston to Maine.. we ordered first 100 ton in November and only got one more 24ton load dropped in February instead of four loads..

2. cdmckane

cdmckane Member

My full time job is hauling salt out of the Cargill mine in Lansing, NY. At the beginning of the winter, they had over 500,000 tons piled up. 2 of those piles are gone, and 2 more should be gone by the end of this week. Not sure on the status of the last pile, as I haven't hauled off of it in months.

This mine had some issues in the fall with not being able to bring salt out of the ground, so they got behind on their piles. The next few weeks are going to suck in the salt hauling business. I never thought I'd be wishing for the weather to end. I'm not looking forward to sitting in line to get loaded out of the tower as they bring it out of the ground.