1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

NJ Insurance

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by Kid, Mar 4, 2009.

1. Kid

Kid Junior Member

Truck is currently registered as residential in NJ. Do I need to register as commercial if I plan on plowing?
    Any idea of the costs to insure if snow plowing?
    Thanks.

2. New Heights

New Heights Senior Member

Dont get caught by Bergen County cops without commercial plates on truck with a plow.

3. blk90s13

blk90s13 PlowSite.com Addict

They cant do nothing about it a plow can be used private use and NJ does not require any additional reg fees for driving around with a plow on the front of your truck

thats a new one for me cops stopping you for non commercial plates with plow on :dizzy:

4. MK-X

MK-X Junior Member

YOU HAVE NO IDEA WHAT THE BERGEN COUNTY COPS ARE CAPABLE OF/DONE. uNLESS YOU LIVE HERE, OR TRAVEL RT 17 REGULARLY, YOU CANT IMAGINE. fIRST OF ALL, WITH A PLOW, YOU CANT SEE FRONT PLATE.THEN THEY WILL WEIGH YOUR FRONT AXLE. tRUST ME, GET COMMERCIAL PLATES, FULL LETTERING, AND COMMERCIAL INS.

5. MK-X

MK-X Junior Member

Oh i forgot, dont even have as much as a shovel in the back, let alone bags of salt, without a cargo net.Elastic tie-downs are unacceptable"bugee cords".

6. blk90s13

thats why I live in Monmouth county I guess hehe they are all cool down here

7. iceyman

iceyman 2000 Club Member

the cops here basically dont pull you over if you have a plow on

8. MK-X

MK-X Junior Member

They wont bother you while its snowing or snow on the ground, but you better believe 2 days later, if they do a drive by on rt. 17, and your not up to snuff, one of your tickets WILL be obstruction of front plate.

9. tls22

tls22 PlowSite Veteran

I have lettering on my truck so i need commercial plates...but im under the impression if u have a plow on ur truck and going job to job u better have commercial plates. Thats what my insurance guy says. :drinkup:

10. MK-X

MK-X Junior Member

yes that is true

11. blk90s13

so let me ask this if I do all sub work do I still need to get plowing insurance ?

12. MK-X

MK-X Junior Member

When you get paid, how does he do it.Does he pay you and take out payroll tax, as if you were an employee, or does he give you a certain amount per hour and you or your co. has to be taxed at end of year?

13. blk90s13

1099 at end of the year only thing I pay up front is work man comp

14. MK-X

MK-X Junior Member

My agent told me, if he takes out payroll tax, like an employee, then your covered for damage you do under his ins. But, if you get into say an accident with another car, your auto ins. will cover damage to the other car.But if you are in the act of plowing, making money, you have to have a commercial reg. I have 3 trucks subbed out,and i have ins. He pays my co. The problem is just say you do 1 lot on your own, coming home or something at the end of the night, somebody falls, your screwed. Its just so cheap to have peice of mind. My agent gives me ins on a sliding scale based on how much revenue i expect to geneate.

15. blk90s13

kool I will look into that for next year great advice and we know very well NJ is full of great drivers :dizzy:

16. plowin4u

plowin4u Member

Hello gang, new to the forum, wow, wouldn't want to be driving in bergen county with my trucks! from ocean county, just dropping in to say hello, talk to you later!:salute:

17. mkwl

mkwl 2000 Club Member

Does anyone know if they can pull you over for JUST driving (no plow) down the road, not speeding or anything, but having vynil lettering on the back window with passenger plates? I know "technically" it's now proper, but has anyone ever heard of county cops hassling someone for having vinyl lettering on their personal vehicle (just Co. name no phone # etc.)?

18. MK-X

MK-X Junior Member

Brother, no BS. if bergen county cops even suspect that you are engaged in commercial work, they will pull you over.Thats their sole mission.All day long, i see pickups, vans whatever, who just came from home depot, sittin on the shoulder. Pickups with tool boxes, lumber, cement bags, sheetrock, ANYTHING used in construction gets them hard.The usual excuse is that you own investment houses and you work on them yourself. Then they ask if you make a profit on the houses,SEE YOU IN COURT. And make sure your 1/2 ton pickup is under gvw, they do and will weigh your axles.:nod: