1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

NJ insurance ?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by gman2310, Oct 21, 2004.

1. gman2310

gman2310 Senior Member

I have a lawn and landscape maintenance company with commercial insurance and general liabilty for a million. I called to check what snow plowing insurance is, and they told me that its going to cost me 2300 for the insurance alone and that when i put an extra truck on, 83 dodge 4x4, thats gonna cost me an additional 1900, so before i even start i am in the hole 4200, before i even put a blade on the ground. Do i need snow plowing insurance or will my general liabilty cover it. I just dont see how i can make up 4200 with 8 parking lots and like $200 piece. NJ Insurance stinks. also, i heard that other companys only pay like $1000 for snow plowing insurance in addition to theres
  2. VBigFord20

VBigFord20 Senior Member

Ohio is no better. I bought a new truck this year and it raised me $350 a year. I called to ask about putting a plow on it and they told me it would cost over $3000 a year.

Not worth it to me to plow with this truck, insurence blows, I would like to know about plowing with normal insurence though also.
  3. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

I assume by "normal" you mean your auto insurance.

If you accept pay in any form for services (ie: plowing) you need General Liability in case you get sued for damages. Most states will also require Commercial Vehicle insurance. In addition, you may need Commercial Vehicle registration. Also, check your local requirements for permits.

How many times have we read "I'm just going to do a few drives, etc for a few extra bucks"?
  4. Bolts Indus.

Bolts Indus. PlowSite.com Addict

As we get older we tend to be more responsible and also worry more about covering our azz. I remember when I took my chances and flew by the seat of my pants. Made more money then. God, glad nothing happened.
  5. Young Pup

Young Pup PlowSite Fanatic

That is the ballpark number I am paying for insurance. Mine is 2500$ covers my lawncare business as well. Truck is registered as commercial as well.

My agent said I would not have been covered if I had regular insurance on the truck. So I got the general liability and all that good stuff. May cost now but down the road if something happens. I will have no worries. I hope.

ps I had insurance for the lawn part before but since I started plowing it really jacked it up.
    Last edited: Oct 21, 2004
  6. 04superduty

04superduty PlowSite.com Addict

i have a f 350 which is considered a commercial vehicle. i have commercial insurance through progressive for about 200 a month for the first year, now its down to 161 a month. i do have a new 04, and not the best driving record (speeding bad and costs more $$). i only use my truck for the winter to plow, the rest of the time i dont use it for work. i tried to get non commercial insurance for my off season and it was about 20 more per month, go figure.
    try progressive, i have had no problems with them.
  7. 2wheelrider

2wheelrider Junior Member
    from NJ

G Man
    You can get a lower insurance price. What you need to do is have the proper insurance agent. I had to shop 4 agents amd it took me 4 weeks. After being run around for 3 weeks I learned that all agents are not representing an insurance company that fits your/my needs. Make some phone calls and ask if the agent works with lawncare/landscaping and snow removal customers. If the answer is yes we write these policies on a regular basis, ( not just yes we can wite a policy) then you will have a good chance you will get a good price.
    PS my snow removal add on to my full time landscaping policy was only $300 a year.
  8. VBigFord20

VBigFord20 Senior Member

Most of the property I planed to plow was family owned, or owned by a close friend. I never looked to do it commerical. I worry about things like just driving down the street and rear ending someone with the plow and being covered.
  9. gman2310

gman2310 Senior Member

Maybe my question is, i have insurance for my business already and the trucks are registered commercially already, do i need to add on the snow insurance, what exactly does taht cover, my agent is like a kid that doesnt have the foggyist clue of what is going on, it took him like 4 weeks to get me the price on the plowing insurance. Are there insurance companies that cover just snow plowing.
  10. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

Yes - a General Liability policy that lists "Snow Plowing" will cover "completed operations". This is what it is called if, after you leave, someone hurts themselves on a place you plowed. This is where the largest lawsuits come in. A Commercial Vehicle policy will cover your vehicle while are in the act of plowing - such as sliding into a building.

Not that I know of. There are several, such as Progressive and Erie that write snow policies, but it sounds more like a problem with your individual agent being ignorant. I'd suggest shopping around. Policies issued strictly for "snowplowing" are very expensive. Also, if you have no recent industry history, you will have a hard time getting a liability policy.
  11. familylawn

familylawn Junior Member

hey 2wheelerider could you give me the name and number of your insurance agent trying to get both lawn care insurance and snow insurance in NJ. Getting the run around by every one. Thanks email me familylawncare@comcast.net