1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

nitrogen in tires?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by finnegan, Jan 4, 2005.

1. finnegan

finnegan Senior Member

hey the local tire place is offering nitrogen in your tires to help with traction- never heard of this before -anyone else?
  2. Up North

Up North Senior Member

Hate to be around those babies when they get hot! :yow!:

First I've ever heard of that...how would that help traction?

3. QMVA

QMVA Senior Member

Nitrogen is expensive. At least its expensive to buy it for paintball gun. That why I use air same results and allot cheaper.
  4. ToolMaker

ToolMaker Member

I think it is a gimmick , we used it in our race car tires , because it doesn't change pressure when it get hot so our tires stayed the same size so our stagger didn't change. But it did nothing for the traction of the car.
  5. Foz

Foz Senior Member

Gimmick for your plow! We use it sometimes in our SCCA race car, & the reson is for the stability in tire pressure when the tires get hot on the track. It won't help at all in your plow vehicle.
  6. jsheedy75

jsheedy75 Member
    from CT

do they have a special for changing the summer air to winter air?
  7. NAC

NAC Senior Member

Nitrogen is non-flammable. It is used in race cars only for that reason if there is a fire and tires blowup nitrogen does not com bust. It has nothing to do with traction or pressure it acts as normal air it still heat up and expands so it has nothing to do with pressure either. I worked for Ferrari 3 years we ran in several 348's, 355's, 360's challenge cars and in all are 333 Imsa cars.
  8. gl1200a

gl1200a Junior Member

Actually it is used often as nitrogen is very stable, non flammable and does not change pressure as tires heat up during high speed use. I have no idea why it would be any good in this application , but I do run it in the tires of my Honda Goldwing. No matter what the outside air temperature is or how hard or fast I run them they will be a constant 40 p.s.i..
  9. plow150

plow150 Member

Can't see the direct link to traction, other than it's good for stabilizing tire pressures through hot, but also cold, so you could expect to have tire pressure maintained when it gets cold out. I think they use them in airplanes for that reason so that they can go from extreme to extreme and not have to worry about pressure. Not sure that the average plow vehicle sees that much tire pressure swing that it would be noticable...
  10. PLOWMAN45

PLOWMAN45 2000 Club Member

thats costco push on there tires now
  11. drplow

drplow Senior Member

sounds like another add-on. when you buy a tire for $50, by the time all the bs is added together its double the cost. sounds like they are trying to triple the cost of the sale.
  12. 4speed

4speed Member

we use it on the race car but there is very little difference in stagger or pressure. The only time it makes a difference is when it is very hot & humid
    "the water in the air expands wich raises the pressure in the tire" On a street or plow application it shouldn't make a difference
  13. Mower For Less

Mower For Less Senior Member

The difference for a plow vehicle, at least the sales pitch, is that the nitrogen molecules are larger, so there is less chance they will leak out. The benefit is that your tires should maintain there same pressure all winter, unlike air, which will lose pressure as the outside air temp. goes down. If your handy with a tire pressure gauge, and dont mind checking and filling them often, then nitrogen will probably be of no use to you. If you want to cut down on maintenance time, then what the heck, give it a shot.

14. slim1754

slim1754 Junior Member

78% NITROGEN!!!! The only benefit, like somebody posted before, is
    that pure nitrogen has no moisture in it to produce steam when it gets
    hot and increase pressure.
  15. jeffwoehrle

jeffwoehrle Member

I can't see it making that much difference in a plow vehicle. Like sombody else said, it's probably just a way to get some extra $ out of a customer.

Here's a link for the nitrogen unit for tire use:

16. jkitterman

jkitterman Senior Member

The advantage of filling the tires with nitrogen is the temperature stability compared with 'air'. It makes a big difference when the weather gets cold. In some places, because of the temp drop, you can wake up with flat tires. The carbon dioxide in the 'air' will start to become a solid and will no longer take up the space it once did.
  17. finnegan

finnegan Senior Member

dunn tire in buffalo ny was on the news stating that it aids the traction of the vehicle .......
  18. Ole JIM

Ole JIM Senior Member

Never heard of Doing That! HERE We use CALICIUM in Equipment TIRES!--such as Loaders & Road Graders--for Traction--but--NO in 4X4s--Its Real GOOD in Slow TIRE RPM Equipment--I just Finished Istalling Calcium in a New Loader Tire!--55 Gal Drum filled w/ Water Dump In 3 bags of Calicum Stir--Place Valve at 12 O*clock--pump in the Calicum until IT runs Out of the Valve!--Un-hook the Pump & re-place the tire Valve! & Fill the Rast w/ Normal Air Pressure!--Works Great On Loaders & Graders--I assume? You would Have a Huge Tire Ballance Problem On a 4X4! --Ole JIM--
  19. PushinFlakes

PushinFlakes Junior Member
    from Ohio

Selling you nitrogen to inflate your tires? Man, I need to get into that racket!

The only advantage I could see to inflating a tire with nitrogen is that it MAY, POSSIBLY, offer a little less in the way of coefficient of expansion as compared to air. Probably another "race track" goodie that trickles down to the general population, with people figuring "if it is good for a race car, it is good for my street car". As stated previously, the air you breathe is roughly 78% nitrogen.

As for the CO2 in the air becoming a solid and decreasing tire pressures (or making them flat), CO2 becomes a solid at 110 degrees below zero. If it is that cold out, you will most definitely have other problems to worry about. Besides, the tires wouldn't go flat because of that, as the CO2 content of normal air is only 0.03%! They would deflate because the cold temperature causes the same amount of air to occupy a smaller volume.

Since the nitrogen is INSIDE the tire, and traction occurs OUTSIDE the tire, I would LOVE to see the explaination on how nitrogen increases traction! Other than POSSIBLY helping to hold a more constant inflation pressure, there is no other mechanism by which it can possibly work. You are better served by a good tire pressure gauge.

20. new2it

new2it Member

This thread just puts a smile on my face.
    Check the shelves at the shop that is selling the N2. I bet he has some of that anhydrous water for sale. It sits right next to the elephant repellent.