1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Nitehawk HID Conversion

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by Philbilly2, Dec 1, 2015.

1. Philbilly2

Philbilly2 2000 Club Member

For those of you that have HID's on your truck, you know why I am doing this right up. Once you have HID's regular headlights even Nitehawks just don't cut the mustard.

So here is a little write up on how you can have the HID's in your Western Nitehawk plow lights.

You need to start off by purchasing a set of H13 HID's with the ballasts. I found mine on Ebay for 29.99. I got the 35W with a 4500K bulbs. These are similar to what is in my truck headlights.

After that it is pretty simple. Pull out the 3 screws in the back of the Nitehawk, pop off the back cover and plug in all the connections to the matching connectors. Tuck the ballast box and wiring into the headlight body and put the cover back on.

The only thing that I ran into was my high/ low beams were not correct on the HID's so I had to flip the high/ low input connections on the plug that goes to the HID ballast. That may be a fluke, but if you run into this, it is easy to swap with a small flat head precision screwdriver.

Curb side is regular H13 Nitehawk, Drivers side is H13 HID Bulb

2. Philbilly2

Here is how you swap the pins if yours are backwards between high/low beams.

Slide small screwdriver as shown on the high beam wire, pull on wire from behind, do the same on the low beam, flip the wire locations. Just push them in to place until they click. Leave the common/ black in the middle alone.

3. jhall22guitar

jhall22guitar PlowSite.com Addict

Im just going to put this here, but HID's are supposed to be behind projector style headlights. If you put them in a reflector housing such as most standard headlight housings and plow headlights, the beam hits the reflector housing in a different way that can blind other drivers because the beam isn't focused since its not a halogen headlight bulb. In some states if you did it to your car/truck headlights and they tested the beam you would not pass inspection, but no ones driving around testing plow lights.
  4. Philbilly2

After both are swapped

Low and High Beams

5. J.onathan

J.onathan Junior Member

I like the idea, but people will hate you! Especially since plow lights are higher than most truck headlights which will cause extra blinding. Be prepared for people to flash their high beams, i get it all the time and I have HIDs in my truck which isnt lifted or levelled.