1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Nite Sabre lights foggy. Help?

Discussion in 'Meyer / Diamond Products Discussion' started by Sydenstricker Landscaping, Dec 26, 2006.

1. Sydenstricker Landscaping

Sydenstricker Landscaping PlowSite Veteran

I have a slight stupid problem. My nite sabre lights on my plow are constantly fogged up. I have drilled a small (like 1/8") at an angle in the bottom, took the lenses off and dried and resealed them and still nothing.:realmad: This is annoying as to it kinda dims the light at night when I am plowing/or when the plow is on. Any help is appreciated.

2. jersey250

jersey250 Member

sell them on ebay and buy new ones

3. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

thomas, how did you pull the lenses off? They shouldn't come off. That could be why your having moisture problem's with them in the first place.Also,drilling a hole in them is only going to make the problem worse.Yes it will let the water out but it also let's the moisture in.

4. Sydenstricker Landscaping

I just took my knife and popped them off. I spoke to a few local plow guys here and they told me about drilling the hole will make it better, guess not.

5. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Well if they just popped right off then I'd say they weren't sealed up too good.That's probably how the moisture was getting in in the first place.

6. Sydenstricker Landscaping

So should I take some silicone and put it around the outside of the lights to make it seal?

7. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Yea, if your not ready to bite the bullet and buy a replacement set yet,you could try and seal them up with silicone.Don't forget to seal the hole that you drilled in the bottom. You might want to pull the bulb's out and check the O-ring around the bulb too.The moisture can get in through there too.

8. Sydenstricker Landscaping

Hey thanks alot B&B. I will do what you said. I will let you know when I fix it. Most likely tomorrow

9. lawnmedic

lawnmedic Senior Member

I would remove the lights and put them in a warm dry place for a while before resealing them. Any moisture from high humidity trapped inside case after resealing will continue to cause problems.

10. Sydenstricker Landscaping

I have been wanting to do that, but there is one MAJOR problem. The lights have never been taken off since 2000 and Meyer lights are known for being all bouncy and just not staying put. I guess this is due to their poor way of mounting the lights. Fortunatly, my lights are tight and dont move and are aimed perfectly. I do not want to ruin this. Is there any way to remove them without messing them up? I dont have the money to afford a new set.

11. Whip

Whip Member

I would just hit it with a hair dryer for a while and then seal it. Once you have a good seal, I don't think you'll have any more issues.

12. Sydenstricker Landscaping

I think I will try that. Supposed to be in the 50's and sunny here tomorrow. Hope I dont blow up the hair dryer:D My wife will kill me:p

13. Robhollar

Robhollar Senior Member

Thomas, the little hole trick is something that takes time before it will clear up. It will not clear up over night, it will prob take a couple of weeks.....Rob

14. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

How about pulling your lift frame off and carry it inside a nice warm building for a few days to dry them out? The hair dryer/heat gun deal is a good idea too if you dont want to pull it off.

15. Sydenstricker Landscaping

Hey Rob, thanks. I will wait a bit before I do anything drastic. B&B, I tried to take the lift frame off. It is the tubular style and has never been taken off. It is rust welded in there. I appreciate all of the help on here!! I have learned so much in the past few weeks.;)

16. Robhollar

Robhollar Senior Member

Thomas, If you look at the bottom of the light it already has a 1/4 inch drain hole. Yours is prob plugged. If you rem I told you I thought I had an extra d.s. light in good shape. Well i do BUT the mounting bolt has pulled out of the holder an is kinda screwed. Well i tried anyways....Rob

17. Sydenstricker Landscaping

Hey Rob, no problem. I appreciate the help:D