1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

nightly freeze up

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Rufur, Jan 25, 2001.

1. Rufur

Rufur Junior Member

my lots get a fair amount of freeze up of melted snow at night time...some from roofs and melting piles to control some of this would it help to place the piles in the shade, spread out instead of 1 huge pile the closests I could place a pile to a drain would cause traffic visibility problems and not look too good...Im using a 7 blade
  2. John Allin

John Allin PlowSite.com Addict

One of the inherent "problems" with salting parking lots is that it becomes a self perpetuating cycle. If you put the pile in a location where people will not be able to see safely, you'll be to blame.

You're at the mercy of the elements. Possibly put the snow at the lowest point in the parking lot, if it is safe and feasible to do so.

Blade size has nothing to do with this.
  3. BRL

BRL PlowSite.com - Veteran

I have been doing a lot of thinking on this one lately. I'm tired of monitoring the lots in the middle of the night for 3 & 4 days after a snow event. Definitely try to get piles near drains, make sure all drains are open, try to put piles in low spots instead of having the melt off run down hill across the lot, get everything over curbs everywhere possible, learn where the drainage problems are & try to keep piles away from them. Can't think of other ideas I thought of. Its a pain but part of the biz.
  4. CMerLand

CMerLand Senior Member

Years ago I used to do that get up in the middle of the night to check lots thing and still do the drive thru if im heading by a site. However, after many a time of going through a property and making no money on the trip I got a little smarter.(I think)

I worded into my contracts that Day after the storm properties will be checked automatically for x dollars plus any materials as part of our site monitoring agreement.

Any visits after that would require the property manager to call the office and cost 1.5 times X plus the cost of the materials. This puts the burden on the client to contact the office if they are in need of salting services. We state that we will be to the property within 1/2 hour of phone call. Now I can sleep comfortably until 7 each morning until the phone starts ringing.

Probably going to expand this monitoring section next year to up to three days after the storm as it is more profitable to send a crew on a salting route rather then the sometimes crisscrossing of the township due to the order of the phone calls. Varied starting times on the assorted properties does help this tremendously.

5. BRL

BRL PlowSite.com - Veteran

I like that idea. However I'll throw out the flip side of that thinking. I have quite a few properties with out a true designated property manager to monitor the situation. Also most of my customers don't want to be bothered with monitoring, they want to show up at 5:00, 6:00, 7:00, 8:00, or 9:00 AM and be able to walk safely (or their visitors or employees) into the buildings. They hired a (supposedly) professional & they don't want to think about that aspect of the property anymore, they have more important things to deal with in their businesses. I have still other customers who, if given that responsibility, probably wouldn't call to save the buck, although they never question my wisdom as far as the salting I've done. I had a couple of newer accounts this year with shaded situations that I wasn't aware of, & while all of my lots looked great when you drive by, there were a couple of hidden areas that were very slippery. I have no idea why these people never called to complain (one was the main entrance!). Now that I found those spots I know to look for them & treat them differently. I know my lots pretty well now & my route is real tight, so I am usually able to drive by late afternoon or early evening & spot the locations & determine whether or not I'll have to get up that night to salt. But I will be trying that idea at a few locations next year because I know they can monitor & they will pay for the service when I monitor. Thanks CMERLAND.
  6. GeoffD

GeoffD PlowSite.com Veteran

I have a schedule for employees.

There are 3 Salt and sand truck drivers on call every night.

Have 2 other guys that monitor conditions. I my self constatly watch weather on tv and read it on the net. So most times I know if anything is comming days in advanced.

7. CMerLand

CMerLand Senior Member

In my post the idea was not to get out of monitoring a site but to make sure its profitable for you to do it. Instead of riding through a property for free, why not make certain you get paid for the trip.

Like I said in my post I am going to try to push this area as a selling point next year and perhaps instead of a per visit charge for x number of days perhaps charging an annual winter visit fee.

The idea of having the property manager take on the responsiblity after the day is to cover your butt on the lawsuit end. You want it to be very clear whose responsibilty it becomes three or four days after a storm as to whether or not salting is necessary. Like you said if they try to save the buck after three days by not calling you to salt then they are on the hook for the slip and fall that occurs. If you dont spell it out clearly then its up to you to check those lots every day that there is a freeze thaw potential. If they chose to leave it in your hands as the professional then make sure you get paid for going out in the cold every morning.

8. jaclawn

jaclawn Member

I look at it this way. If I go out, I am looking for work, the chance to salt the lots. You can't win every time, but the times that you do get to salt, you are compensated well.

I am lucky, my route is only about 1.5 miles from home, and only about 3/4 of a mile long, so I can go out and check it and be back home in less than 10 minutes. It does suck when I get up, get dressed, drive out there, and come home without doing enything.

It is better than getting a call from a building owner or property manager wanting to know why his parking lot is icy.
    I also document the times that I do a lot check. This covers my rear if we get a later ice up.