1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Nighthawks dim?

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by NorthernPlowman, Sep 26, 2010.

1. NorthernPlowman

NorthernPlowman Member

Hey guys, I just bought a new set of nighthawks and one of the bulbs is yellowish(dim) the other side is bright white! I'm sure it's just a bad bulb cause it's got standard Sylvania bulbs. I'm looking at new bulbs on sleezbay and I'm looking at these H13(9008) with 55 watts and 8000k So they have a blue hue. Question is do you think brighter white bulbs or blue hue would be best for plowing?
  2. Western1

Western1 Senior Member
    from MI.

Could be a problem with your plow wiring. Try switching the bulbs first!
  3. 496 BB

496 BB Senior Member

Are you talking about HIDs here? If so I wouldnt go any higher than 6000K. 4300K is the brightest whitest you can get. 6000K is plenty blue unlike most pictures/charts depicting the colors. If your talking halogen I wouldnt waste your money as you can grab HID kits for $50.
  4. NorthernPlowman

NorthernPlowman Member

I did flip them and the bulb was dim on the other side as well. They were a halogen they were cheap 13 bucks. Do you know where I can get the hid's for $50?
  5. BooshF250

BooshF250 Junior Member

NorthernPlowman -

I put HIDs in my F250 - headlights, they require direct power for the ballasts from the battery. The fogs are straight plug and play. I bought a set last year for the Nighthawks and haven't figured out where to get the power from to run them. I am taking my truck / plow to a custom installer to get a strobe, hideaways, etc and am going to see if he can install the HIDs also next week
  6. samjr

samjr Senior Member

good spot

7. no lead

no lead PlowSite.com Addict

you have a ground issue truck side. double check your configuration plugs first. i assume this is a gm product?
  8. NorthernPlowman

NorthernPlowman Member

No lead your correct. It's on my 99 Sierra, I grounded the cable to the alternator bracket cause it's was easy and clean.