1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

nighthawk lights

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by Schwinn68, Aug 16, 2009.

1. Schwinn68

Schwinn68 Senior Member

Has anyone upgraded their unimount to the new nighthawk lights? How hard would it be to do it? I'll be starting to refurbish my plow soon and was thinking of putting a set of these lights on it. My cousin has these on his 9' ultra and I really like them. If anyone has any pics of the older plows with the new lights please post them up for me so I could get a better idea of what they would look like. thanks

2. JCI Trans

JCI Trans Senior Member

Is it for the truck you have listed in your signature? If so you should have the isolation module system with 3 plugs to the plow and its a matter of a couple of bolts, the lights are wired to their own dedicated plug. On the unimount you would have to build a bracket on the light tower to handle the second bolt on the nighthawks, as they are much larger than the old style lights. If its the old style with 2 plugs than some wiring will need to be done.

3. Schwinn68

Schwinn68 Senior Member

this has the older 2 plug on it but no isolation wiring. the lights are direct wired to a switch so I can control them from the cab. This makes driving to the jobsites much easier because I can lower the plow and run my regular headlights then switch to plow lights when plowing.

4. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

I am rewiring my XV the same way, except for using relays. The three port iso module is gone, and will be for sale soon.

5. JCI Trans

JCI Trans Senior Member

Sounds like all you'll need to do then is to make up a few brackets to handle the larger footprint and wire them into your existing switch and you're in business.:waving:

6. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

Fisher makes a bracket to mount the intensifires on older plows, I would presume Western does also.

I gotta admit I would be tempted to try the Boss Smartlights. Separate Hi and Lo Beam bulbs/housings.

7. Schwinn68

Schwinn68 Senior Member

the brackets would be easy for me to make. the hard part is going to be convincing myself that being able to see better is worth 200.00 :D

8. Schwinn68

Schwinn68 Senior Member

I'd like to see some pics of an older plow like mine with the upgraded lights on it. Are there any in the picture forum?

9. Philbilly2

Philbilly2 2000 Club Member

10. Schwinn68

Schwinn68 Senior Member

I've been watching that thread and really like how his setup turned out. That's was a really trick bracket he came up with.

Seeing that picture in your sig makes me really want it to snow soon and often. I'll have to get a copy of that. It sure is a lot of good looking duramax's!

11. Philbilly2

Philbilly2 2000 Club Member

this year we will have to add your truck to the photo!