1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Night Sabers bulbs keep breaking/blowing out

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Luppy, Oct 17, 2003.

1. Luppy

Luppy Senior Member

I've got a 1999 Meyer 6.5 EZ Mount with the Night Saber plow lights. Nice looking lights, but the problem is, the bulbs break/blow out almost immediately after replacing. Anyone else have this problem? Is there a fix? I'm assuming the bulbs are getting too hot for some reason because the glass part of the replacement bulb is blown off every time this happens, and it happens constantly.

Any info much appreciated

Michele

2. sonjaab

sonjaab PlowSite.com Addict

LUPPY,,,,,,,,,,,,Are they Halogen or simular
    type bulbs? Ya know there are warnings
    on them to not handle them with your
    bare hands.

Something about the natural skin oils getting
    on the bulbs, then they shatter when used
    and get hot............

I noticed simular warnings on replacement
    halogen headlight bulbs.....................geo

3. Luppy

Luppy Senior Member

Hmm. I didn't know about the handling thing... I'll have to buy some new ones and check that out

the bulbs are like the 9007 on this page

4. sonjaab

sonjaab PlowSite.com Addict

LUPPY.......Yup halogens !...Go to a auto parts
    store and read the warnings on the pkg.
    Thats prob. why they keep shattering !

5. Luppy

Luppy Senior Member

Kewl! I'll give it a shot again, this time I'll wear surgi-gloves.
    Thanks for the help. :)

6. snowplowjay

snowplowjay Banned

Yes never handle those bulbs with bare fingers. Your natural oils do not bode well with helping the longevity of those particular style bulbs.

Jay

7. speedracer241

speedracer241 Senior Member

If you do have to finger them, be sure to wipe the glass part of the bulb with a little rubbing alcohol. That will clean the bulb and hopefully make it last a little longer. Those bulbs get really hot.

Just be sure to clean the bulb a little,
    Mark K

8. Garagekeeper

Garagekeeper Senior Member

Blown Bulbs

Luppy how old is the plow set up on your truck?
    If they seem to blow out after the light housings get wet check and see if you have the older style housing with the removable name plate on the top.
    There was a problem on these housings, as the plate wasn't sealed properly allowing water and mosture to get in and come in contact with the hot bulbs causing them to blow.
    Just one other thing to check if you have them, and they can be resealed with a small bead of black silicone if you do have them.
    :rolleyes: John...............

9. Luppy

Luppy Senior Member

Hi Garagekeeper

I bought the plow new in November 1999. I'm not sure about the nameplate thing. I'll check. I had the bulbs out yesterday and the plugs still look brand new with not a speck of corrosion on them at all.

10. Adams plowing

Adams plowing Senior Member

Another thing to check for is if moisture is getting into the light houseing water seeping in from melted snow doesnt fair to well on a really hot bult and will cause them to break.

Seth

11. Luppy

Luppy Senior Member

Thanks Adams plowing, I'll keep that in mind, although the inside of the plow light housing looks like brand new and there's not a single sign of moisture getting in.

I plan on replacing the bulbs, and running the lights for awhile before the snow (or rain) hits. I'll post back the results.
    Thanks for the help guys.

Michele

12. Luppy

Luppy Senior Member

Garagekeeper

Yep. There's a plastic piece on the top of the light housings. I popped one side up with a screwdriver, but it didn't seem
    as if there was any space for water to get in.
    Regardless, I will do the silicone trick you mentioned and see if that helps. I put new bulbs in and plan on driving around at night with the plow lights on just to see if they blow out during dry weather. That would definitely indicate the problem lies elsewhere, so on goes my testing.
    I honestly don't know why everyone loves these Night Sabers..I think the design sucks. The blowout problem, that little clamp thing that goes between the screw and the housing access, and that stupid pita wire clip thing that is supposed to hold the bulb in..what a joke. The engineer who designed that must have been hung over that day.
    On another note, I installed a new Optima yellow top today, the plow headgear, and everything is working A plus so far so bring on the snow. ;)

Last edited: Oct 17, 2003
  13. Adams plowing

Adams plowing Senior Member

Well hopefully ya have better luck with this set of bulbs it gets expensive to keep having to replace those things.

Seth

14. tileman

tileman Member

Had the same problem. Hands did not touch the bulb some how was getting water in side. No way to dry the thing out and get a good seal. Cost for new unit way to high. Went back to seal beam. No problem. Was not happy with the light out put any way. Have talked to some people at parts counters, they say they have replaced a lot of night sabers for the same reasons.

Tileman:( :(

15. MsQueen

MsQueen Member

I'd bet it's the handling thing. Make certain your surgical gloves don't have any powder on them. At times halogen bulbs come wrapped in a tissue type covering, that is what I use to handle them. Let us know.

16. I handle AV bulbs for our school and we have been told to use only freshly laundried all cotton gloves for handeling those bulbs. It seem to work as we have far fewer burn out and breaks. It may be worth a try for you.

17. CARDOCTOR

CARDOCTOR PlowSite.com Addict

make sure you dont finger the bulbs
    also if theres a better grade bulb sylvania instead of jap. junk try that

cardoctor:nod:

18. Luppy

Luppy Senior Member

Thanks for all the input people.
    I do believe Garagekeeper and Tileman have pretty much confirmed there was a problem with the design of the Night Sabers at one point, that has now been corrected with the newer ones. (Mine are from 1999)
    I happen to have a set of those poorly designed lights.

I've sealed the edges of the plastic nameplate on the top of the lights, using a thin bead of black silicone sealant. (Thank you for the info and suggestion Garagekeeper! I'm keeping my fingers crossed that this does the trick for now)

Tileman: I agree with you though. The light output totally sucks. I'm not crazy about changing lights because there's enough wiring in my Jeep as it is. Would consider it though if the silicone doesn't keep water out, AND if there were lights that would bolt onto the existing setup and plug into the existing Meyer light 6 pin wiring plugs. Will post back the results of the silicone trick.

thanks again folks!

Michele