1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Night Saber Lights will not come on?

Discussion in 'Meyer / Diamond Products Discussion' started by Chevy 1500, Feb 5, 2007.

1. Chevy 1500

Chevy 1500 Member

I have an MD II. When i was plowing yesterday the night sabers quit. I have a switch in the truck to go between the truck lights and the night sabers and there was a blown 5 amp fuse. I replaced the fuse and smelt a burning smell as soon as i switched it on. The smell came from under the hood. The question is what could it be? I really haven't dug to deep because it is like 10 to 20 below outside with the wind chill. any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

2. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Since you mentioned that you smelled a burning smell from under the hood, the first thing I would check is the head light module's.Theirs one for each light and they're usually mounted somewhere on the core support.Check each one on all four side's of the module, looking for burnt spot's on the plastic housing.If you find any discoloration on either one then either the module just went bad or something else in the wiring shorted out and burnt up the module.

3. Sydenstricker Landscaping

Sydenstricker Landscaping PlowSite Veteran

B&B is right. you will find that your module blew. I had the same thing happen, 5 amp fuse blew, replaced and smelled burnt electrical under the hood. Replace the module and replace the fuse again, and you should be all set

4. Chevy 1500

Chevy 1500 Member

Update

Well i just did a driveway and when i went to the garage door the saber lights were on. There is no fuse in the switch in the truck and when i place the truck in park they go off. They only come on when the truck is in gear, i guess they are hooked to the driving lights. is this still the modules? does anyone know the part number and the cheapest place to get them are? Thanks again for all the help.

5. Sydenstricker Landscaping

There is no specific model for any truck. Mine cost 60 bucks. It could be your drl module is malfunctioning. Check the ground wire on the back of your switch in the truck. I would even try another switch to see if that fixes it

6. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

With the updated info you provided it's sound's like your DRL module might be defective.

7. Chevy 1500

Chevy 1500 Member

Update 2

So i am driving home tonight and i put the high beams on and there is smoke coming from under the hood. First let me say thanks to the guys who have responded you have been a big help. My question is with no fuse in the switch in the cab can the modules still be doing this? Thanks again. i will be getting in to the trouble shooting this weekend in my garage and need to know where to begin.

8. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

First thing you should check over is the entire wiring harness for the plow light's very carefully for any bare spot's or places where it might be rubbing on a sharp edge as it sound's like this is an intermittent issue.Even without the fuse in the power wire at the switch some of the wiring at the plow light module's and the DRL module will have power.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2007
  9. Chevy 1500

Chevy 1500 Member

Update with more information

I just went through the entire wire harness and all looks good. I turned the truck on and tried to get the burning smell and nothing. when i put the high beams on, the left side doesn't work on the truck. I put a new fuse in the switch in the cab and the plow lights all work except for the high beam on the left side. When i disconnect the plow plug the truck high beam will work. My thought is the module? Any help would be great. Thanks again for all the help.

10. Sydenstricker Landscaping

More than likely it is gonna be the change over module on that side. The nite sabres are notorious for this. Kind of a meyer flaw I guess. When mine blew, the truck light on that side came on and the plow light was on, just real dim. The high beam didnt even work. The burning smell is from the actual module overheating and melting. Unfortunatly, there is no way to test this module that I know of. It is more or less based on visual inspection, or switch the module from the other side and see if everything works.

11. lawnmedic

lawnmedic Senior Member

You can switch the 2 modules to see if the problems follows....