1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Nice Truck?

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by Kollerman, Oct 6, 2008.

1. Kollerman

Kollerman Senior Member

Hey guys,

My dad emailed me a link to a truck on craigslist and asked me to post this for your critique. He is looking to get a truck for snowplowing this winter with his friend's snow removal company here in southeastern wisconsin. He doesn't want to spend too much money, but would still like a decent truck. He asked me to post this because he doesn't know much about computers and he knew everyone on here would give him a straight up answer.

These were the only pics I was able to get right now because it was all the guy had on craigslist. My dad did call him asking for him to send more pics to my email, so hopefully I will be able to post more tomorrow. I have included the sellers description of the truck as well:

123K, 5.7 AUTO, 7.5' Western Uni-Mount Pro Plow, Runs and Drives A-1, Black w/maroon interior, Roll top cover. Many new parts: Brakes, Exhaust, Tires & Rims. Used to plow mine and my neighbors driveways.

Thanks in advance!

2. 06HD BOSS

06HD BOSS 2000 Club Member

the truck "looks" to be in clean shape. what size accounts will he be plowing with it? its tough to judge something over the internet without crawling under it and what-not. but if its all that its cracked up to be, for doing residentials that truck should do fine
  3. chcav1218

chcav1218 Senior Member

Like Boss said, it looks like it should be fine, but take a good look at it in person. Look for any serious rust on the frame, chech out the break pads and rotors, maybe the tie rod ends, and the suspension stops. The plow will look fine with a fresh coat of point. I'm using a needle scaler to strip mine down right now and it works great.
  4. Kollerman

Kollerman Senior Member

My dad is going to be plowing a few longer driveways that some residential people have along with some of the smaller parking lots that his friend has contracts for. I am probably going to be looking at this truck with my dad on Wednesday or Thursday, and will be sure to crawl underneath and see how clean this thing really is. My dad wanted to get your guys input on the condition of the plow as well, considering all the spots on it. He was hoping that good paint job would do the trick.

In just looking at this, I see that the truck really doesn't sag too much in the front, so I will have to see if this guy has any suspension upgrades that were completed.

Any other input on this truck, and maybe specifically what to look for when we go and look at it, would be great.

Thanks once again!
  5. chcav1218

chcav1218 Senior Member

Well the plow should be fine. Just remove any lose paint or rust bubbles, smooth out the rust with a wire brush wheel on a drill, prime and paint with rustoleum or with paint from the manufacturer.
  6. Detroitdan

Detroitdan PlowSite.com Addict

Looks like a very nice truck, I like how it doesn't appear to sag with the plow raised. Must have the t-bars cranked a bit. Not my choice of plow, but the snow doesn't know the difference. Main concern is the age and price of the truck. I didn't see the year listed, but I'd guess it was a 92 judging by the grill and mirrors. Even though it's a pretty truck, it's old and $6500 seems really high, at least it would be in my area. I could find the same thing here for $3000-$4000, maybe even less if you don't mind a few blemishes.
    Interesting how every single truck ever sold with a plow was only used on the owner's personal driveway, and a neighbors.
  7. M&M

M&M Senior Member

You should ask how long the truck has been sitting. An older truck that has not been driven for a few months will have more rot (hoses, frame, brakes, rust, etc.) than a truck that has been driven daily. Vehicles are build to be driven, not sitting around collecting rust.

I have first hand experience. My old truck (95 chevy 1/2 ton) sat for almost 6 months before I was able to put the time in to sell it and believe me, that truck changed drastically in those 6 months.
  8. Yaz

Yaz PlowSite.com Addict
    from NH

He said new exhaust? Well he may be stretching the truth or that must be a old photo, because the tail pipes look old and bent to me!
  9. Kollerman

Kollerman Senior Member

I agree that this truck is overpriced at 6500. My dad said that as long as the truck's interior is ok, driveline is solid, and overall condition is good, he would not have a problem paying 5000 for it. It is just going to be his plow truck, as he already owns an 06 silverado. If it snows as much as they are predicting, he should easily be able to make up the 5000 this winter with what he is going to be plowing.

Thank you all very much for the input. You have answered pretty much all the questions he had. He said to let you know that he appreciates it very much.
  10. RichG53

RichG53 PlowSite.com Addict

What year is it ? ? ? You didn't say.....
  11. Mark13

Mark13 PlowSite Fanatic

Going by the grill and mirrors I'd say its a 94 or so.