1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

nice thing to hear when you tell someone your raising prices

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by bribrius, Jan 2, 2008.

1. bribrius

bribrius PlowSite.com Addict

and dropping people. Just applies to a drive but it is still nice to hear.

"I don't care what you charge. I have no problem paying someone for work. You do a very good job. Just keep making sure i can get in and out for me to go to work. If i can't get to work i lose my job and no one gets paid. Just tell me what i owe you and you will get it."

i know it shocked me. :eek:

2. Jerre Heyer

Jerre Heyer Senior Member

Like when you quote a plow and they say............"wow, that's all. I was expecting hundreds more................"

Kinda helps make up for the other end of the spectrum and tells you that someone appreciates the quality of what you do.

J

3. PLM-1

PLM-1 Senior Member

I HATE that one. It makes me feel like a lowballer even though I know I'm not. Example: We have a small denny's here that has about 20 spaces which equates to about 5 passes that are just as long as the building. Seriously takes 5-10 minutes with salting. I charge $150 plus salt. "Wow, that's it, we were lucky to get the last guy to do it for less than $400. You like cash right!?"

4. RBRONKEMA GHTFD

RBRONKEMA GHTFD 2000 Club Member

I have a few of those. Kinda makes you wonder how much more you can charge them HAHA! The few I have are just like aslong as it gets done, I don't care when or how, just make sure it is clean!

5. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

I hate it when they say "yes" to fast!

6. bribrius

yeah. lucky im a honest guy. suppose i could take advantage of the situation but i try to be fair in all my dealings. I raised the price but kept it in line. Also stuck with the old price for this past storm and previous work that had a outstanding balance. (they always pay just not at the time)
    Said I will start the new pricing with the next storm.

7. bribrius

that sucks. guess you have a idea of what your raising it to on your next increase right?:)

8. firelwn82

firelwn82 PlowSite.com Addict

Wanna be shocked even more? Ok Good. I dropped my bill of to a customer for the month of December. Good lady, take care of her like all of my customers nothing special. So she says ok I'll make out the check while your here. No problem when ever is fine, so she wants to pay now now. So she goes I put a little extra in there for you. Well I go to the bank today (bank day Wednesday) and sign all the checks and crap. So I look at that check and :eek: She put an extra 150 bucks in there. I keep the check from the deposit and call her afterwards just to make sure. Oh yeah she says I'm sure. Customers never cease to amaze me. Needles to say I'm stoked

9. bribrius

strange that some people can be so nice. and others so miserable to deal with your pulling your hair out.
    good deal on that. bet you take care of her even better now.:)

10. firelwn82

Yeah I was completly shocked. You bet ya I will. She's a snow and lawn customer, been with me for five years. Since day one

11. Donny O.

Donny O. Senior Member

I got one tip so far this year....an extra $5. i'm not complaining it's better than nothing...just putting it into perspective!!

12. FordFisherman

FordFisherman PlowSite.com Addict
    from 06611

I don't tell any of my customers I'm raising their price, I just do it. Do the oil co's tell you when they are raising gas prices? How about the grocery store for milk? My insurance co. doesn't send a notice of premium increase, they just send a bill. Don't mean to come off as a jerk, but if you tell them your raising their price beforehand it gives the customer something to complain about. If my costs go up, so does the price of service. Thats business. If anyone complains, NO PLOW FOR YOU!!:gunsfiring:

13. bribrius

When you drive into the gas station the sign tells you what your will pay. when you buy milk the tag gives you what you will pay. My insurance compnay does send me a notice of my premium as well as a break down for monthly payments.
    I would not feel right about providing someone a service and not telling them the cost of the service before hand. It also gives them time to plan ahead and most people are on budgets. I am also not talking about a small increase. The drive in question i posted above i went up over 1/3 in price.

14. firelwn82

15. YardMedic

YardMedic PlowSite.com Addict

let us know how this works out for ya! Maybe shame on them for not ASKING each year about increases, but don't you think people SHOULD be made aware of what the cost would be each time? It's a fairly new concept that I've dubbed, "good business."

16. FordFisherman

from 06611

I've never increased anyone more than $5 over a three year period. Its minimal. Most people are happy to pay for the level of service. Those who don't get it I don't want as a customer anyway. Sorry to hijack your post bribrius.

17. mnormington

mnormington Senior Member

I'm glad my customers aren't that stupid. I think they are entitled to more respect than that. After all, I'm not the oil company or a grocery store. There's 10 other guys in line to plow them for the same money as me, so I treat them like they matter. As for your NO PLOW FOR YOU comment I think it should just be NOT YOUR PLOW. They will call someone else.

Last edited: Jan 3, 2008
  18. FordFisherman

from 06611

In business, nice guys finish last. You guys gotta grow some stones.

19. bribrius

not worried about it. anyone can feel free to hijack any of my threads. we are all friends here. ;)

20. FordFisherman

from 06611