1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Nice Post Lou, one question?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Lou, Nov 16, 2001.

1. Lou

Lou Member

Plowing for good bucks

I've been on the plow site since it had less than 200 members and keep reading the same storys about trucks, plows, etc.
    breaking down. Some equipment gets mangled.

In the rush for as much ching ching one can get during a season, the outlay for repairs and delays caused by them can reduce your
    net quite a bit.

Customers like a great job, but will settle for a good job, and will pay for it. Customers don't like paying more for a "that'll do" or a
    fair job.

If you can't do a GREAT job at any site, DON"T do it. And if you are going to do a GREAT job, CHARGE for it. If you get a really bad storm, your customers will understand. As a former customer, I know the above for a fact. That's exactly why I began plowing.

By the way, I have a Meyer 7.5 poly that I've made some modifications on and have been using it for 8 seasons. Original
    equipment, and beefed it up for peanuts. To tell you the truth, you guys have it made plowing on pavement and the like. I laugh when I read about all the high ends plows having problems.

A friend of my told me when I first started plowing "low and slow is the way to go." He still uses his old ford with a Northern and I still use my '76 GMC.

You can have the newest rig, with the best plow money can buy. If you abuse it, you may lose it.

I hope you feel the same as I do: " I like my hard earned money in MY pocket not some one elses, and spend as much time with my family and not the plow".

Take care and have a great season..............

2. Kent Lawns

Kent Lawns PlowSite.com Veteran

Lou,

Fine post, I certainly respect your opinion.

I learned on the other side of the tracks. Perhaps location, perhaps customer demand, perhaps a lot of influence from my 1st Boss.

We spend big $ and have 1 goal: Making the most $ per unit. And we accomplish our goal.

Quality: In our market anyway, quality of 85% TIMING. People want you THERE.

Yeah, we spend on ton on new equipment and repairs, but I'm not concerned with spending $2000 per year per unit for repairs IF a.) no downtime b.) we increase productivity by 5 TIMES that amount because of our technique.

Your strategy is earnings thru expense reduction.
    My strategy is earnings thru increased revenues.

2 different philosophies to be sure.

3. slplow

slplow PlowSite.com Veteran

Amen to that Lou.

4. butch74

butch74 Junior Member

I will be using the same Meyer plow. I am new and yes slow for me will be the way to go for me. The question I have is you said some modifications were made and "beef up" your plow. My father is a retired welder and would enjoy doing things like that. If I can do anything to enhance my plow I would be interested in what you have done. I am trying to take in as much as I can through this forum. I understand some things are not for everyone. Nothing like getting out there and really doing it I know. I am trying do learn and do preventive things that experience pushers are sharing in these discussions. Thanks Butch

5. GeoffD

GeoffD PlowSite.com Veteran

We plow snow, we use our trucks, things break.

End of story, and ya know what we make money. Never had a serious break down during a storm. Had some bad storms, where we lost 2 MTD type snow blowers, and broke a few other small things. However we still made money, the job still got done, with quality results.

I expect things to wear out or break. Our trucks get a lot of miles a year, and also see abuse, after all they are work trucks.

Geoff

6. GeoffD

7. Rob

Rob PlowSite.com Veteran

Totally agree. If you can get good employees that just treat the equipment like they own it, generally there will be no problem. It's the 'rental car' attitude that breaks things.

8. plowjockey

plowjockey PlowSite.com Sponsor

Amen to that Rob.

Broken lift chain? That sounds like a freak incident or have many of you had this problem? Just curious as to how often this might happen.
    Also do the chains have a "shelf life" so to speak? I mean should they be replaced every so many years or is routine inspection enough?

Bruce

9. 75

75 PlowSite.com Addict

Never had a lift chain problem, (5/16" Grade 70) I use a shackle to attach the chain to the lift arm and I did have one of those come loose once. My fault though for not tightening the shackle pin all the way.

IMO routine inspection is plenty for the lift chain - providing you're using decent chain to start with!

"Rental car attitude"? Rob - you must have seen how some of my co-workers treat the welding trucks! Sounds just like 'em. :mad:

10. CT18fireman

CT18fireman Banned

I think that the pins or bolts on the lift arm would fail before the chain would. Most lift chains are high stress. I remembera guy ripping the hook off the Fisher arm one time. Had to wrap a chain around the lift arm and then use the transport hook to get it home.

11. plowjockey

plowjockey PlowSite.com Sponsor

I know last year we discussed the transport hook, but I never was clear as to exactly where they are located. Are they mounted on the headgear frame?

Bruce

12. Rob

Rob PlowSite.com Veteran

75 - You've seen first hand exactly what I mean. "F*** it, it's not my truck". Now imagine those guys driving your plow truck :rolleyes: I'd guarantee a breakdown.

13. GeoffD

With Diamond's Dual Hook lift system, the chain links twist over time. It just happens, and if you don't replace it soon enough one will break, however the other hook with hold the plow.

I was trying to think of a minor break down, that doesn't cost much to fix

Geoff