1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

nice companys

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by ultimate lawns, Sep 8, 2002.

1. ultimate lawns

ultimate lawns Member

Ok, everyone has there snowplowing admirers. Like theres always 1 snowplowing company in the town that has the best set-up's. i know there is one in my city. This guy has top of the line trucks. There name is TAYLOR BROTHER SNOW REMOVAL.
    Theres 2 of them, they are brothers as you can tell. Well, i was going to pick up some nails for the deck and some reflective tape for my salter. When i got there there was the awsome looking truck sittin right in the corner of the lot. it was a chevy 1999 4-4
    3500, NOT a dually, just the 4 wheels, single cab, i think a 8 or 9 ft fisher with the snow foil, thats the thing that blocks the snow
    and makes it look like a big plow. Had a orange swanson spreader, a fully loaded edge lightbar with 4 takedowns. hide away strobes and rear oval strobes. Well this was last year in december. So i had my truck all set-up too. he was looking at my truck when i pulled in. when i walked in we started talking. He was just getting off work so we went outside and talked. He showed me inside his truck, and it looked like a police car. lol;)
    He had s switch box's, arrow stick controller, moterola radio,
    and a CB. Then he had his salter and plow controlls. it looked nice. He and his brother plow together. HIs other set up was a 1999 chevy 2500, single cab, deisel, loaded with lights and had the same set up with all the controlls but he did not have a salter on that truck. Well, the next day, it was kinda funny. It was a plowing night:D . That night like at 12:00, after i was done plowing one of my accounts, i went in to eat, it was wendeys. i was in there for about 10 minutes eating. Then guess who walks in? The same guy i was talking to the night before. lol. he was with his brother. His brother had his 1998 ford f-350 4-4, deisel,
    NOT dually. He had the same kind of fisher, the same kind of swanson spreader, but had a mini edge and a cupple other strobes etc.. He was pulling a trailer with there bob-cat on there.
    They had a big as box plow on there. And when i talk to him again
    ill try to get some pictures of their trucks guy's. Sorry guys for talking so much. Just let me know, tell me if im typing to much, i wont do it eneymore. but thanks for listening.

ultimate lawns and more,
  2. John Allin

John Allin PlowSite.com Addict

Everyone needs a role model. Sounds like you found yours. That's great. Emulate successful people, and it'll rub off....

You're not typing too much. It's good to read the enthusiasm in your posts.
  3. Mike 97 SS

Mike 97 SS Banned
    from U.S.A.

Yea, i like seeing what other people have and i like to talk to them about where they bought what and how much was it. I used to have a huge interest in sports cars and not so much in trucks, seems the older i get, its changing to having a big interest in trucks and snowplows and less and less in sports cars. Dont get me wrong, i still have my car and like to take it out here and there and nail it down the street, lol, but i like knowing that when it snows i wont be stuck home. Try and get some pics for us. Mike
  4. snowplowjay

snowplowjay Banned

Yea i have snow plow envy too

Yea i get that way too. I always get all excited when i see a hot looking piece of snow removal equipment. My jaw will drop and i will just stare until i see that the owner of the truck is in it and go talk to him and shoot the breeze. Gotta find out what the guys doing to get such a great piece of machinery for himself.

5. snow

snow PlowSite.com Veteran

There's a contractor in my town who ihas a great business. The name of the company is Fred N. Durante Jr- General Contractor. The guy has about 15 trucks total, and i'd say about 8 for snow removal. He has a ford L8000 spreader truck that has a perm. mounted spreader, and a big viking plow. Also has a GMC top kick, self contained 5 yard spreader, and big viking plow. The rest of the trucks are 1 ton gmc dumps, pickups and utilities. All western plows,and custom central hydraulics on the 1 ton dumps to run hydro v-boxes.

They also have a new holland skidsteer that they custom fit a western plow to. Very cool.

It's just neat to drive by the guys yard and see all the equipment he has. His yard is very neat, big garage with everything parked in spaces. Heavy duty shelves with snowblowers and stuff on them, and spreaders hanging from chains hoist. They also custom fit a 1 way type plow with angle cylinders, and mounted it on a 1 ton dump. It's cut down to 9', but looks too heavy for the truck to handle.

Like John Allin said, it's good to have role models. That's my snow removal role model.

6. pats plowing

pats plowing Senior Member

My darn neighbor has a setup that I'd kill for. He has 2 2002 f450s with grain dump bodies very nice, a 01 f350, and two 97 dumps all with fisher plows. The other guy down the street has two skid steers a hough loader, a 02 chevy dump with plow and sander, a 01 f350 plow and sander, a 97 ford dump plow and sander and a 97 f350 plow. Them are some sweet setups but not the best around. I try to get a look at everyones trailer in the summer and everyones plow in the winter. Some say i am upsessed.
  7. Mike 97 SS

Mike 97 SS Banned
    from U.S.A.

Nothing wrong with a little obsession, gotta have an interest in something, might as well be nice trucks and snowplows. :cool: Mike
  8. cat320

cat320 2000 Club Member

I think no matter how much equipment you have you still look at other stuff.I know that I do I have a fairly new backhoe but i find myself looking at others machines as they nay drive by.
  9. JCurtis

JCurtis Banned

Ever notice how we men always look at a beautiful woman whenever one walks by... even if we are with our beautiful wives?

Snow plow envy is very similar to that... its a involuntary reaction in those of us who plow snow. My wife always tell me I drive her crazy looking at trucks all the time.

I know Fred Durante, the contractor that snow was referring too.

The man is a Fanatic about of his trucks appearance. I mean it does have his name on it so he needs to present a good image to the community.

This guy is so fanatical about his trucks and equipment that he has a small crew that comes in at night and washes all his trucks Including his big Triaxle Dumps. I had his company estimate a job for me once. The truck came out to the site and it was dirty, when I teased the estimator about it he said that it was a good thing Fred didnt see it, or he would be fined.

We should all take a lesson from his book. All his trucks are painted the same, they all use Whelen Lightbars and strobes
    They are all professionally lettered. ( last I knew they were hand lettered and pinstriped, not vinyl)

Even his backhoes, loaders and rollers are lettered.
  10. snowplowjay

snowplowjay Banned

Much respect to Fred and his fleet. It all goes to show that appearance is everything in the eye of the public. To be seen is to be respected and it sounds like Fred is successful because of his Positive and Professional attitude towards his business .

11. snow

snow PlowSite.com Veteran

Durante is very anal about his equipment and appearance, but that's good because it gives him a good name. People might also think the trucks never see dirt because they're always clean, but the clean trucks probably give people the idea he does good work.

All the trucks are painted dark green and are all lettered up, with some striping and stuff. Even down to his wheel barrows, they're all painted. You won't find bondo or primer on durantes trucks, or multiple colors and mismatched body parts.

He's expensive, but he takes pride in his work and his fleet.

There's a dark side to him, but i'm not going to get into that.

12. JCurtis

JCurtis Banned

Welcome to the DARK SIDE .........

We all have dark sides.... I know I do, just ask my wife!!!!

You can't be in Business and NOT have a pronounced dark side.
    It comes from being screwed over on several occassions, slow business cycles, TOO much work and not enough time... Plus alot more factors...

Some of us are just better than others at keeping our dark side in check more often.

Just call me Darth Vader