1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

NH SSL's and Other Maintenance Nightmares

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment' started by lars, Apr 11, 2005.

1. lars

lars Junior Member

I was reading some comments on New Hollans SSL's on another site and it reminded me of the LX885 we used to run at work. Man, that thing was a dog. I'm not going to say much about how it ran or what broke, but something that applies to every single LX885 made....maintenance.

This was possibly the worst-designed skid steer I ever ran in regards with maintenance. Ever try changing the oil one one of these things? Climb UNDER the machine, remove a STEEL PLATE and there is your drain plug. Ever jump one...HA! You can't even REACH the battery. Well you can when the loader arms are up and you remove the side shield, but how often is your SSL in that position when you can't start it. We finally ran wires from the battery to two posts by the radiator behind the rear door so you could open the door and jump it.

So has anyone else had a machine that was a maintenance nightmare? What things have you looked at and said "They can't possibly find a more stupid place to put that" or "I would like to see the engineer of this change the plugs and see how smart he is."