1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

NH Skid question

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment' started by Drottlawn, Mar 3, 2013.

1. Drottlawn

Drottlawn Senior Member

So I bought my first skid in Dec. Its a NH l220. I like the machine so far, except for one thing. When I go to pile my salt up, the machine doesn't seem to have any as/ when I try to lift in the pile. I have to back up to get it to raise and then push forward. My buddies old L185 will lift the rear tires off the ground before stopping. Mine will not even try to lift the rear off the ground. Did NH tame the new machines down? Newer bobcats I have rented will even lift the rear tires with too big of a load. Is there an adjustment or anything I can do to get more lifting power?
    Thanks!:confused:

2. lawnboy2121

lawnboy2121 Senior Member

U don't want the back tires off the ground. It is most likely the weight. The new machine may have more tail weight than the bobcat plus a longer wheelbase . Just because the back wheels stay on the ground does not mean it has less power though may seem it

3. MatthewG

MatthewG PlowSite.com Addict

Id think the L185 is heavier and more powerful than the new 220

I have a LS180B and it has less HP than the 185 and I can really pick up some heavy stuff, I have a weight kit and foam filled tires, so the rear has never lifted from the ground.

But to answer your question I would say its just underpowered

4. lawnboy2121

The L220 is rated for 2000lbs where as the 185 is rated around 2500 lbs. the 220 is a medium frame machine and the 185 is a large frame

5. Drottlawn

Drottlawn Senior Member

I understand the 185 can lift more than mine, but every skid I have ever used will start to lift the rear wheels off the ground before the loader arms will stop going up. Mine will not. The s175 which is smaller than my machine even will do it just with less weight in front of it. What gives?

6. MatthewG

MatthewG PlowSite.com Addict

I don't know man, I can't remember too many times when my machines came off the ground in the rear, I know they have stopped lifting for me over the past 13 years I've been operating them

7. Drottlawn

Drottlawn Senior Member

I guess what I will do is steal my buddies full pallet of salt and see how it lifts it. I presume it should lift it no problem? Thanks for you thoughts.

8. lawnboy2121

It all comes down to the balance of the machine . How much weight in the back vs the front

9. Drottlawn

Drottlawn Senior Member

What should I expect lifting wise from this machine max? I know it is operating 2000lb and tip is 4000lb. so should it be able to pick up 4000 whether it is safe or not?

10. lawnboy2121

Depends on how far the load is off the front . My 8875 with is an lx180 is rated at 2350 lbs and it will lift a 4000 lb pallet it works a little but does. My L225 has a 2500lb lift cap. And the same pallet it has no problem . I have lifted a 5000 lb set of stairs with the 225 but I could not keep the tail on the ground do to how far it was hanging off the front of the bucket. The machine is designed to lift only so much . I would rather the relief valve open then break things

11. Drottlawn

Drottlawn Senior Member

Speaking of relief valve, is it adjustable. I really think mine is set to low. I know my old kubota tractor was adjustable, just dont know anything about this machine yet. I think this may be my problem. I dont want the max, just want alittle more lift power.

12. Drottlawn

Drottlawn Senior Member

After some research, I think I got the wrong model. I started to look at breakout forces for all of the larger nh machines. The l220 has the lowest breakout force of all. The l223 and up have over 5000psi. My machine is in the mid 2000's. Kinda of amazing there is such a difference. Even the l218 has more than mine! Doesn't make sense! :realmad::realmad::confused:

13. lawnboy2121

The bucket breakout of ur machine is7145 lbs the loader arm breakout is 2615lbs so it's a fairly strong machine. I think the pressure relief for the hydraulics is not adjustable but I could be. Wrong

14. purpleranger519

purpleranger519 Senior Member
    from Kansas

How do you buy the wrong machine??:confused: Did you not demo anything before you purchased it? I know one thing for sure, that's a pretty expensive mistake cause they aren't going to take it back now!

15. lawnboy2121

:laughing:U can get a smaller bucket