1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

nh salt applicaters

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by ponderosa, Jan 17, 2010.

1. ponderosa

ponderosa Member

for any nh people there is hearing on 1/20 in concord on the salt applicaters licence if anyone would more info let me know

2. tc21

tc21 Member

How did the hearing work out? I just cought this post. Any idea what the state is up to. I know they need the money.

3. ponderosa

ponderosa Member

the state is saying that contractors put out %50 of the salt in the state the state only puts out %9 and towns put out 7% i don't think the numbers are right . it's going to cost $100 per year per person and you have to take classes if you are caught spreading salt without a license it's a $5000 fine, state and towns are exempt.i did talk at the hearing there was no listening. there is an executive hearing on this week i think they are going to have a study commision i am going to try to get on it any questons please ask thanks

4. tc21

tc21 Member

Those numbers are probably wrong. The state and larger towns have massive piles of salt and they run out. They more than likely contribute to higher saline contents in the rivers and streams. They pre-treat roads, spread salt while its snowing to prevent hardpac, and then treat for two days later for refreeze. As a small contractor Material cost money. I use a sand/salt mix 80/20. sand after the storm is over. And maybe one or two days later on troubled north facing lots. Less salt. 4 tons of mix. Mostly sand. Most smaller towns use sand salt mix or straight sand on the gravel roads. They do a fine job with the budget they have. The larger towns put more material down in the form of salt. Sometimes I think my truck is going to fall apart with all that salt. They need the money and never will admit they were wrong.

5. balky22

balky22 Junior Member

where can i get the info on this heraing in detail. this will affect my company. guess we beter get some info so we don't get screwed. thanks for any help.