1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

nextels

Discussion in 'Business Fundamentals' started by fisher42, Aug 22, 2004.

1. fisher42

fisher42 Banned

how do you guys like them nextel phones? any info would be appriciated , thanks

2. ALEX516

ALEX516 Senior Member

On Long Island they're ok, I've had my account since 1996-1997 and although the cell service portion of it has become seriously congested since then (every other 10 year old has one now) it's still quite efficient.

EVERY cell service has it's dead spots, etc.. NEXTEL sure has them, if you can deal with a few "Repeat" or "Can you hear me now?" etc... then you'll find it's great, almost everyone has one, and for people who only need the w/t feature, you'll have unlimited w/t minutes for about $40 a month.

Go for the i58sr unit, run em over with a loader and they still work...

Good luck

3. rainair

rainair Senior Member

I don't know what I would do wit out mine! a good friend was in the middle of charlie in fla last week and we 2 way'ed thruout the storm while other cell services failed.. I knew when the eye of the storm hit s.e. orlando.. I can also call for equipt from nations rent or my salt supplier, to let him know of a truck headed to the depot.. I can be on vacation or my partner can be in the boat on a lake in canada... GO Nextel!

4. snoking

snoking Senior Member

my partner and i both carry 2 of them.....all of our guys have them..approx 60....it really is how business gets done

And 100% agree with alex

5. Rich's Lawn Care

Rich's Lawn Care Member

We have them and they work great in Mass but I went up to southern New Hampshire and had no service. Where in New England are you?

6. PLOWMAN45

PLOWMAN45 2000 Club Member

i like my nextel they have good service plans i pay 54.99 for 1000 daytime minutes,unlimted dc unlimted night weekends

7. VBigFord20

VBigFord20 Senior Member

Hell I love the things! I dont see how my company could function without one. All the drivers have them and there is always one in the office and two at the store. It makes it eazy to get ahold of just who you need and ask them things like they are right in front of you.

Plus I can 2 way my friend in GA and its like hes right in front of me.

8. derekbroerse

derekbroerse 2000 Club Member

We had them a few years ago where I worked (the Canadian 'version' is called The Mike Network) and found them to be very good but there were a lot of dead spots where there was no signal whatsoever. This was a real problem in emergencies. Also, we used to get bumped alot when there was heavy usage... ie: System Busy Error, Try Again Later etc.

The company eventually got rid of them but a few years later bought them again after Telus Mobility/Mike Network put up more towers in the area. They still are far from perfect but definately a very useful tool.

9. 66Construction

66Construction Senior Member

They're a double edge sword. They're great for the two way but then everyones always bothering you....I threw mine out the window of the truck while plowing 2 years ago during a very stressfull night. Best part was I didnt even realize it untill I had 3 more lots plowed....ha throw it out or turn it off that's how business gets done. Gotta have em though.
    Casey

10. gpin

gpin Senior Member

In Southeasetern PA the cell phone part of Nextel is weak. It's a great walkie talkie but not much of a phone. I used to use both until Verizon went free Verizon to Verizon.

11. Tommy10plows

Tommy10plows Senior Member

Well guys, I have to tell you, I am down in Florida now, really really close to Hurricane Charley areas, and Nextel as well as cellular service has been on and off for days after the storm. The message to me is this, have a back up system, whether it is another cell phone carrier, CB, VHF, UHF, or some other service if you want to be prepared. If the towers go down in high winds, you are stuck. If your carrier loses power at their rural sites, you have no communications. Add to that the early days here of no water, no sewer service, no electric, limited food supplies, nor landline phones and you have a big problem.

You can't call FEMA if your cell carrier is down, or if you have no power to charge your cell phone up.

You gotta have backup. That is the answer to this question.

12. Boast Enterpris

Boast Enterpris Senior Member

I agree with Tommy10plows, You always need a back up!
    In my area they are really catching on, but in the rural areas the service is just so spotty. Like everything else it will improve with time. We mostly use Cingular because of the mobile to mobile nationwide. This was real handy when I was in Destin Fl back in July. What about text messaging, I know if takes time until you learn how to type, but it seems to make it through when a call won't. We are all really hooked on it. We also have a VHF repeater radio system that allows us to cover a 60 mile radius from the tower which is on the shop. Some cost up-front but the equipment last a long time. Our radios also double for our volunteer fire department. I'm ready for the snow to fly! :waving:

13. trukoutftr

trukoutftr Junior Member

I love them. been with nextel since 96 and can't go without it. really hurts when you lose it. i like the fact that most all my customers and car dealers have them so they can d c anytime and i am there which in some cases is a draw back. best thing i ever did for my business

14. Triton Snow Systems

Triton Snow Systems Banned

the only way to fly!

15. AintNoFun

AintNoFun Senior Member

we have had nextel for probably about 6 or 7 years. the service STINKS, the customer service STINKS... Most of our contracts are up in Nov. and we will be canceling... Everything related with nextels customer service is a hassel. Not to mention the phones are so overpriced it isn't even funny.. I'd call a nextel salesman and tell him you want a phone for a few days before you switch...

16. George C

George C Senior Member

They're next to useless as a telephone IMHO.

The direct connect feature is great, but the general cell tower service is too spotty for me.
    The service was soo poor, I actually bought out my contract and switched back to verizon.

17. rainair

rainair Senior Member

it must be a problem in the new england states, the midwest is great.
    But also did you folks LOOK st the service area maps and where you would be working?

18. Dupesy

Dupesy Member

I'm in southeastern New Hampshire, and I like the service. True, there are some dead spots, moreso in this area than other providers may have, but normally I can connect with little trouble.

19. rainair

rainair Senior Member

Nextels, sprint, direct connect, 2 ways.....

Hey folks, this just in!!! according to my local rat shack Manager,.....
    for those of us that love Nextels,.... with the merger about to happen!!.....
    we might have to buy new phones.....NOT! Sprint can Kiss my A$$.
    Been there they have crappy service any place I tried to use my old phone....

hmmmm the new race of nascar?

20. Caneplow

Caneplow Senior Member

The challenge with the merger is that alothigh they are both CDMA services they are on different frequiencies. One is on 900mhz and one is a 1.9Giga phone. This may be a challenge for owners now going forward. The cool part is that Sprint has some great phones and good service; along with Nextel and they Direct Connect features this hsould be a good marrige.

Verizon has great service but their prices are a little higher and that is something that I don't like. Verizon is going to be challenged now as ATT/Cingular area merger; Nextel/Sprint.... Verizon is going to have to start looking at what's next for them.