1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Nextels or walkie talkies ?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by extremerider44, Feb 18, 2004.

1. extremerider44

extremerider44 Junior Member

Hey guys just wondering what u guys use to comunicate with other people u plow with? Nextel phones, walkie talkies, CB radios just wanted to know thanks be cool Nick

Getting into the snow plow business to fill my need for speed :drinkup: :gunsfiring:
  2. lawnmedic

lawnmedic Senior Member

We use cell phones, Nextel coverage poor in our area....Chuck
  3. BigDawg

BigDawg Member

Nextel and Cell Phones, but the Nextels are great because of ease of use and long range (coast to coast) so you cant have a guy run out of range unless you are in a bad area.
  4. kipcom

kipcom Senior Member
    from Indiana

all of the above...........
  5. 3dbbok

3dbbok Junior Member
    from IL

2-ways and nextels
  6. columbiaplower

columbiaplower Senior Member

nextizzel :) !!!!!!!!!!
  7. gt_racer50

gt_racer50 Senior Member
    from Ohio

We only use Nextels
  8. Plow Meister

Plow Meister PlowSite.com Addict

NEXTEL all the way. Some trucks have CB's in them but that's just for chit chat.
  9. Grshppr

Grshppr Senior Member

VHF 2 way radios and cell phones, and if the trucks are within 100 yards of each other we yell.:cool:
  10. flykelley

flykelley 2000 Club Member

nextel and cell phone is the only way to go.

D'MAXXDIESAL Junior Member

NEXTELS ALL THE WAY... !! nextels are on their own network so even though their might be a few dead spots... theres no roamin the the direct connect is coast to coast... super clear and instant.. !! nextel even has a group connect feature that lets u talk to multiple fones at the same time... go nEXTEL !!
  12. PLOWMAN45

PLOWMAN45 2000 Club Member

nectel the only way i fly
  13. plowking35

plowking35 2000 Club Member
    from SE CT

To beclear you ned to be in your "home operating area to use the direct connect for free. If someone is out of that area, both users will pay a connect fee. Last I knew around .10 a min each. Also the group connection costs extra.
    Nextell in our area is spotty, so we use cell phones.
  14. 04superduty

04superduty PlowSite.com Addict

Nextels, with good insurance on the phones. So when you cant get through, and throw your phone it gets fixes free. Ok so I dont throw my phone but have i ever come close.:D :D
  15. rainair

rainair Senior Member

got to have my nextel, mountian dew, smokes, tunes. I am set to go! now if we just get more snow
  16. Barberry Hill

Barberry Hill Junior Member

Based upon the information in this thread
    I am upping my shares of NXTL
    Maybe a few January 2005 options too!!!

We use em home, plowing, farming, even sailing
  17. North Country

North Country Senior Member

I have to admit the Nextels have helped out alot this season.

We are keeping track of up to 14 trucks per event this year and that number will double next year, I can't imagine having to call everyone all night long on a cell or breaking out the Smokey and the Bandit handles for everones radio! LOL!

We have phones that are click only for any sub that isn't on Nextel to ensure everyone is connected.

If you want to just chat the savings factor is there also.

My only gripe is when I switched over I couldn't get them to send me a bill, they were charging me but for the life of me I couldn't get a bill mailed to the correct addy. All is good now though. - michael
  18. Boast Enterpris

Boast Enterpris Senior Member

We use VHF 2-way radios & cell phones. The nextell coverage in our area is patchy at best. Most of us are volunteer firemen so the 2-ways double for each situation:waving:
  19. Luppy

Luppy Senior Member

Nextel, CB, & Ham 2 meter. It's a wonder I get any plowing done with all the chatting on radios.
  20. james731

james731 Member
    from ny

nextell with the 4$ insurance bacause i cant drive eat move the plow and shift gears at the same time and then i am expected to talk so i throw the phone the insurance does no good anyway though they take forever to fix it and expect you to wait so i leave the store and the cracks remain in the phone with no antenna that pisses me off when i dont get reception

i might need anger management : )