1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Nextel phones while out plowing

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by lawncare18, Dec 19, 2005.

1. lawncare18

lawncare18 Senior Member

Do a lot of you guys use nextels to keep in touch with various crews and trucks when out plowing. Seems like the walkie talkie would be good in big storms...
  2. echovalley

echovalley Senior Member
    from CT

Been with Nextel since 1997.Something I couldn't live without
  3. Mowman62531

Mowman62531 Member

We use our Nextels all the time when out plowing. There is usually about 14 of us out on the route and it is a lot faster than dialing someone up on the cell.
  4. 84deisel

84deisel Senior Member

used by all of our drivers,office help and formans since they first came out here.
  5. sawbones25

sawbones25 Member

I'm not a big fan of Nextel just because the coverage is spotty at best around here.
    It's not just my neck of the woods either, I live south of Washington DC and even closer to the city it's bad.

I have one through work. And even though I plow on the side, my employer is the same (county government), just a different department. So everyone else has one too...

I'd just as soon use a CB...
  6. Lol

Is there any other way to get a hold of your men???? Yeah, they work great!
  7. JTW

JTW Senior Member

The only thing nextel is good for is the 2-way feature... They suck balls as a phone.
  8. Metro Lawn

Metro Lawn PlowSite.com Addict

We have had Nextel since they came out. They get better all the time, but the system has gone down during storms. We have a direct 2 way radio system as a back up.
  9. GSE

GSE Senior Member

I tried NextHELL for a season, and it wasn't all it was cracked up to be.... around here anyways. The two-way coverage, when it worked, was great however the Cell coverage is a joke. Plus, if your cell tower goes down, your screwed.

This year I opted to get up on a UHF Trunking repeater system. The up front cost was a little more than Nextel, however it's $15/mo per radio and I can turn them on and off seasonally. Nextel requires year round coverage for 50 bucks per phone.

So far so good, and the best part is if a tower site should go down, you can switch to the talk around mode and bypass the repeater with a conventional signal.

If you have a reliable provider in your area, I'd give them a hard look before jumping on board with Nextel.
  10. Journier

Journier Junior Member

i met a guy not 3 weeks ago, that swore by cb's had them in every truck he had.

im still using regular cell phone, same ive been using since early 1990.
  11. flykelley

flykelley 2000 Club Member

Nextel here in Lower Michigan is great, would not be without it. I wouldn't switch if they gave me free service, love that 2 way.

Regards Mike
  12. DJ Contracting

DJ Contracting PlowSite.com Addict

I agree with Flykelley you couldn't't give me any other cell phone....
  13. AlwaysGreener

AlwaysGreener Senior Member

It's a must have..
  14. TLS

TLS PlowSite.com Addict

NEXTEL phones annoy the living crap out of me.

The constant beeep....talk. People with them are so inconsiderate.

I have a CELL phone. Dial the number and talk privately.

If your in the same lot or same general area with a bunch of guys, the handheld 2 way walkie talkies (cheapie ones) would work great. They work in a 5 mile radius, and have NO monthly fees.

I don't have a "crew" so my views on this are severely skewed.
  15. Frozen001

Frozen001 Senior Member
    from Rome NY

You know to be honest I never really understood what the big deal is with the two way on a nextel... I mean you stipp have to know the persons number you want to talk to...so why not just use a regular cell phone??? I mean you can program everybodys number in you phone...many phones have a built in speaker phone...
  16. SnowGuy73

SnowGuy73 PlowSite Fanatic

I have had mine since 1998, and no plans to change here.
  17. Kevin003

Kevin003 Junior Member

You know there is a button on the top of the nextel phones that you can hit. It makes it so you open the phone up so other people can't hear what is being said to you. But its still a two way.

Anyways i wuoldn't be without my nextel.
  18. Runner

Runner Senior Member

A friend of mine has 12 of them, and they aren't worth the powder to blow them up. He'll be the FIRST to tell you that. All you get is dropped calls. I would be darned if I'm going to try to conduct business over one of these things - talking to property managers and keep hanging up on them. That gets real old - real fast. As far as the 2 way,...big woop. You dial your four digit and whatever else symbols you have to dial just to beep through to someone, and I'll push my send button and scroll one time and have who I need on my my phone, too. I pushes 3 times on 2 seperate buttons that are next to each other. My phone takes alot less time, effort, and attention away from driving to communicate than a 2 way deal does. On top of that, you can't talk if they have their button pressed saying something, and vice versa...."please wait till after the beep":dizzy: . It's all just a novelty thing. If that's all we had were 2 ways at first, then we were introduced to this new system that had a continuous open line where both parties could talk and listen at the same time...in private, THAT would be the next best thing to sliced bread. Well, we DO have that..it's called cellular.
    Another thing that gets me, is everytime I try to call and do business with someone with a "nextime", I have to jump through all the hoops just to talk to them.First, wait for this recording that says "Please wait while the no-tell subscriber you are trying to reach is located". Then, after WAITING, sometimes, you STILL get a voicemail. Nope. you can keep all your bleeping and blipping that annoys everyone in restaurants, stores, and every other public place. It's pretty pitiful when you have people radioing over the two way to say "Don't forget a loaf of bread and a gallon of milk". The response to that should be "Yeah, roger that. We have a loaf of bread and gallon of milk on the hooptie, and the eggs are in the basket...I repeat...The eggs are in the basket!" We're all clear on register One - Niner and our ETA is 9 minutes......Time out...1635. This is KMG-365..,.Over and out." :salute:
  19. RayGauthier

RayGauthier Member

cell phone

I use a normal cell phone and a gps and it works just great for me !!
    I'm sure nextel would be beter!!!!
  20. TLS

TLS PlowSite.com Addict

That is funny as hell! :D

That last part reminds me of Meet the Fockers! :salute: