1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Next time plow with the storm

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by grandview, Sep 16, 2012.

1. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

SHAWZER PlowSite.com Addict

Now I remember why i use loaders instead of trucks!!!:D
  3. maelawncare

maelawncare Senior Member

I wouldn't know what to do with a foot of snow. Glad we never get anything that deep.
  4. Andy96XLT

Andy96XLT Senior Member

boo i can't watch it.. anyone else get an error?
  5. peteo1

peteo1 PlowSite.com Addict

That's where a vee comes in handy.
  6. terrapro

terrapro PlowSite Veteran
    from MI

It helps to also not be a moron.
  7. 91AK250

91AK250 PlowSite.com Addict

angle the plow and get some speed up. i dont drop the blade till theres 6" plus. but totally different world here.
  8. BossPlow2010

BossPlow2010 PlowSite.com Addict

Put it in vee, or if you have a Ford like Scott and I :nodding: put it in scoop :D

FISHERBOY Senior Member

Well at least he had a Fisher!!!!
  10. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Even if he knew how to plow with that Fisher all he needed to was angle it and get a path though and go to town on it.
  11. 2_Djinn

2_Djinn Senior Member

I got bogged down in a long narrow drive I do once. I learned when its deep to pull off the pro wings so when im angled it sliced thru better. Plowing deep snow like that is hard on trucks too.
  12. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

He should not be plowing. He has no idea what he is doing. Plus, the truck isn't properly equipped. If it's a sheet of ice underneath he should have chained up. And ballast/counterweight is essential with a foot of snow.
    I learned long ago when making the first pass in that situation to drop the blade ALMOST to the ground. Keep all the weight of the plow on the front tires and you have better traction and don't get pulled sideways as much when making the first pass with the blade ANGLED.
    I wonder if his transmission survived the winter.
  13. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

I was wondering the same 2. Why didn't he angle going in? I heard the guy say it was icy underneath...I would say get a machine for that lot
  14. 2_Djinn

2_Djinn Senior Member

I was teaching someone from the pass seat once and I told them to steer the truck with the blade. They were like "Whatttttt" ...lol
  15. RLM

RLM PlowSite.com Addict

Painfully boring to watch. It's easy to Monday morning quarterback the "plow guys" decisions, but I'm sure the whole story isn't told or known, ie. If there is ice under the snow, chances are the property owners are to cheap for salt, so he could have instructions to wait till snow stops. The other thing the "plow with the storm" guys don't realize is staff needs to rest at some point. At points visibility becomes unsafe, ussually resulting in a heavy accumulation quickly, at that point having the right equipment for your area becomes critical, one reason Grandview has a V blade (or why almost every truck I have does). My contract also specify we are using trucks with plows, if we can't move it, I'm covered ( this clause is from before we had our big stuff), however it comes back to problem one most people are cheap, and don't want to pay for a bigger piece if equipment.
  16. jmac5058

jmac5058 Senior Member

With the way that truck is set up with no ballast if he went into that heavy snow fast at full angle tha ass end would have pivoted and made him hopelessly stuck . Thats why if your a one man band ( with only one plow truck ) it needs to be a VEE , a VEE could have cruised straight down center with ease and then work from there.
  17. WIPensFan

WIPensFan PlowSite Veteran

I don't think he did to bad for what he had there. That's a real narrow pass through the cars on the right and hedge on the left, plus the garage door straight ahead. He took his time, didn't get stuck, didn't kill the hedge, didn't hit the cars...what more do you want?? Yeah he could have hit it before that much snow accumulated, but you don't know what type of accounts he has or timing or anything. Skidsteer would be ideal there in that heavy snow, but you use what you got.
  18. BPS#1

BPS#1 2000 Club Member

I coulda plowed that with my 9' scoop plow.

Turn it on angle and push thru. What a clown.
  19. Banksy

Banksy PlowSite Veteran

What a horrible account that would be. Looks like it's time for some skid steer work to get rid of those piles in front of the house (?).
  20. BPS#1

BPS#1 2000 Club Member

The ones to the right of the plow area??

I'm not so sure but what those might be snow covered vehicles.