1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Next Plow I want underhood pump and hydraulics, what plow maker has this now days

Discussion in 'Residential Snow Removal' started by Northman, Jan 20, 2009.

1. Northman

Northman Senior Member
    from Ohio

Thats why I liked the Northman set up. The pump and hydraulic reservoir was all under the hood where it was nice and warm and kept out of the way of salt etc.

What newer plow set ups have this under hood pumps and hydraulics now days. I think on my next truck I am going back to this kind of set up.

What company and model if you know.

2. scooled101

scooled101 Senior Member
    from midwest

I am going to do this also but I will be building my setup just how I want it. I hate covering up the pump everytime I park it and I am also going to put shock boots on my hydros

3. 04sd

04sd Senior Member
    from pa

4. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

If you can find one the older Fishers were set up like that and were good ,better if the truck had a stick.

5. RODHALL

RODHALL Senior Member

i do not think anyone makes a underhood unit today.

i am with you i am so tired of electric over hyd pumps.

6. CityGuy

CityGuy PlowSite Fanatic

Leo use too but I am unsure if they still do. Boss that I sub for has all Leo's w/underhood. Down side is they are really slow to react

7. calhoun

calhoun Senior Member

I had a underhood pump Fisher. I would never go back.

There is hardly any room to begin with under the hood and not only the pump but also the valve body goes under hood. Even with the plow off there is still all the underhood stuff in the way all the time.

The worst was connecting and disconnecting the plow. I tried 3 different styles of hydraulic disconnects. Never found a system that would not freeze up and refuse to engage/disengage correctly.

When that engine pump fails (after 2 years in my case) it was real pricey to replace. In fact you can replace an electric motor and pump cheaper than just the engine pump.

8. bangbangusa

bangbangusa Junior Member
    from Euclid

I heard that meyers is coming out with a monarch pump set up on the 2012 plows.

9. Jim@esitrucks

Jim@esitrucks Inactive

Yes Meyers will offer the E-58 pump....and you can upgrade to the new E-72 pump...which is Monarch I believe. As far as under hood...good luck finding one that will work on todays trucks. Central hydraulic is the closest you will get to that...which is gonna get pricey putting a clutch pump ect on your truck...but it can be done

10. csi.northcoast

csi.northcoast Senior Member

not to show my age but use to love my old dodge snow fiter then snow commander.. never ever had an issue with it....

11. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

I had a 1976 short bed Snowfighter with engine driven hydraulics in the 80's, great truck ran it till it died:cry:.

12. DareDog

DareDog PlowSite.com Addict

Fisher Speed cast or a early fisher minute mount 1 :waving:

13. dellwas

dellwas Senior Member

I've got a '97 F-350 with a Meyer underhood hydraulic unit. Never a bit of a problem, but gawd knows where I'd get parts if it calved... Ah well, got a JD tractor now in case it does.

14. mercer_me

mercer_me PlowSite Fanatic

The older Fisher MM1 plows could come with under the hood hydraulics.

15. 2WHEELGNNR

2WHEELGNNR Junior Member

I have a lead on a plow set up like that but been told wont fit the hydro pump under the hood of 2002 f-150. What does the monarch doo that is different or smaller about he set up??// Thanks so much .. I know older post but trying here...thanks

16. CityGuy

CityGuy PlowSite Fanatic

I think leo still has underhood hydros. not 100% sure. Have not seen one of them around in a few years

17. UpstateNYer

UpstateNYer Member

I run my MM1 off my stock power steering pump on my 1998 K1500. Have used this setup for over 5 years with no repairs or ill effects. Stronger and faster than the electric set ups. It cost me about $50 to convert. I have posted the pics several times on this site over the years. Just do a search for power steering powered plows. I don't know what I have to do to make believers out of you guys. It's cheap and it works well and if and when I have to replace the factory power steering pump that came from the factory on my 16 year old truck, I'll go to NAPA and have one in 15 minutes. I live about 40 miles east of Syracuse, NY and we get plenty of snowfall here.

18. CleanCutL&S

CleanCutL&S Senior Member

Great way to do it. Funny part is most newer cars and I'm sure the trucks will soon. Have changed to electric power steering units. Saves gas is the main reason.

19. 2WHEELGNNR

2WHEELGNNR Junior Member

great info upstateNyer..Im just to he west of you in Rochester..I will do a search and saw something yesterday about power steering powered pumps!!

Thank you.

I saw your pics but new to Hydraulics and plumbing I will study your set up...so you use power steering fluid in the hyd system for this setup..as maybe I can do same with this set up and be ok......Hmmm
    Thank you for the good idea upstate NYer....!!

Upstate NYer Im look at pics now and what not....any walk through guides? Iim a newbie at all this and really need/want to get this plow running. Im south of Roch and winiters south of NYS thruway not as nice as above the thruway..we get buffalo lake erie crap. Thanks for any help..I saw where youa re...went to caz for college...log ago........cannot pm yet.

Last edited: Jan 8, 2014
  20. twmiller68

twmiller68 Junior Member

Wait until the 7-way control valve goes on you. $$$$$$