1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Next big "race" for plow manufacturers?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by mcwlandscaping, Sep 17, 2008.

1. mcwlandscaping

mcwlandscaping 2000 Club Member

What do you think it will be? Until just recently it seemed like the big race was to create the fastest mounting system, now pretty much all companies have a similar claim that their plow will mount/dismount in under a minute. Now that's settled, what do you think is the next big thing that the plow manufacturers will all be hustling to create the "best" or "fastest" of?

2. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

How about who can keep the same quality and have the lowest price?

3. 06HD BOSS

06HD BOSS 2000 Club Member

thats a tough one. maybe largest carrying capacity...snoway is already up there. could also be the headlights are starting to become bragging rights lately. i dunno maybe the fastest way to help the customer part with his money.

4. ServiceOnSite

ServiceOnSite Senior Member

power wings on a v plow. the headlight thing has been around for a few years with HID lighting. i think power adjustable wings will be the next thing. to take a plow from a push box like sides and be able to fan them out flat like a regular plow increasing your width.
    just a thought.:drinkup:

5. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

Isn't that a Rev?

6. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

The Revo's have that now.

But power wings on a V...now your talking. :nod:

7. 06HD BOSS

06HD BOSS 2000 Club Member

Yeah Boss has had the HID option around for a few years now, has anyone else followed suit? no. the HID option is too expensive to the majority of the population. Im talking about halogen lighting options. thats why the manufactures have been designing new housings to offer more light output at the same cost. Boss had the nice housings years ago, meyers came out with a different set, so did hiniker, then fisher and western. Now Boss came out with a redesigned light housing again and doesnt offer the HID option but are equipped with the new Halogen InfraRed bulbs which supposedly "out-shines" the competition. So other brands will follow suit.

i have to agree with the power wings / box / extra width thing. I do believe Snoway has started a trend that will probably take off throughout the industry.

8. ServiceOnSite

ServiceOnSite Senior Member

im having a problem opening the snoway site i wanna see this plow.

meyer had the saber light which is not to shabby. boss's lights are ok. the one that im a big fan of is the western/fisher night fire or hell fire lights. those to me seem to be a white light that cuts through the snow. thats why i put them on my boss. every time i was out plowing and seen someones lights that were blinding on a plow 9 outta 10 times they were those lights

9. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

A 12 way blade.;)

10. merrimacmill

merrimacmill PlowSite.com Addict
    from MA

Fastest hydraulics maybe? Boss already has that one though. Factory option back drag blades? Before you know it, they'll have plows that move themselves or something.

How about a plow with a telescoping A frame. Talk about serious stack capability. Come up to a pile, raise the plow and telescope the frame out an extra 2 feet or so. I don't really know, I'm just comming up with random bad ideas off the top of my head :confused:

Look at how far plows have come in just 20 years. I don't think any of us can even fathom what it will be like 20 years from now... Besides Tom. They probibly have the next 20 years of plow technology in an R&D building somewhere. :rolleyes: Whats the next big thing tom?

11. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Lots of reading and pix right here: Revo More on the Revo's

12. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Snoway's already got that one too with their new macro run wireless controller. Those Snoway boys aren't old school. wesport

Tom, think SW could design a plow that would make snow? :D

13. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

It's nice to have all those things but the problem they will price themselves out of the market or guys will hold onto their plows a lot longer. Just like trucks.

14. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

They all seem to be headed for the SW space frame design. Fisher with the X blade, the new airflow is that way as well.

Snoway has introduced combined controls (one control for both plow and spreader) that could become major. Kind of pushes the end user into the same manufacturer on the front and rear so as to use a single control for both.

Wiring simplicity could become a major selling point. The more complicated and computer controlled the vehicles become the greater the problems with interfering with the circuitry. more systems like the EIS and wireless pulse controls SW is using could become the vogue. Perhaps voice activated or a version of paddle shifters to steering wheel mount the controls

But the biggest change could be automation, particularly for sidewalk crews. check this bad boy out.
    http://www.pinktentacle.com/2007/02/yuki-taro-autonomous-snowplow-robot/

Then there's liquids, a unit that allows liquid de-icer to be sprayed from nozzles that are mounted to the rear of the blade for applying a light application of de-icer as the snow is being pushed, saving time and fuel by doing an application while plowing.could also replace the rear boom allowing other forms of rear mounted equipment.

15. JohnnyRoyale

JohnnyRoyale 2000 Club Member

Last edited: Sep 18, 2008
  16. NLS1

NLS1 Senior Member

I think it would be great if there was a way to scrape down harder, like with a skid steer, would make it so much easier to backdrag, and I am sure you would use less salt too.

lol;)
    That new Rev. looks great Tom, maybe on my newest truck!

17. NoFearDeere

NoFearDeere PlowSite.com Addict

The next thing is going to be everyone offering the expanding wings like the 810, XLS, and WideOut. I hope Boss does soon!:D

18. 04superduty

04superduty PlowSite.com Addict

are the new boss lights not that good? i have not seen any of the new plows with the lights on so i have no idea. i do know to upgrade an older plow will cost some $$ since the wiring is different between the 2 kinds of lights.

19. SuperBlade

SuperBlade Member

i have a good one....ok let all picture the razors they have out. First it was one blade now its 4-5-and if you watch madtv 10 blades...lol....

now picture a plow with one blade in front of the other to get a closer cut to the ground and to help remove hard pack or ice......you could also carry about twice the amount of snow...some would go under to the second plow..... 0 0...(..(

20. elite1msmith

elite1msmith 2000 Club Member
    from chicago

lazer snow plows...... melt it away with out salt, no need to stack anything