1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

NewTires for plowing

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by sgpmi10, Jan 8, 2014.

1. sgpmi10

sgpmi10 Junior Member
    from Wall NJ

Im looking for new tires for snow plowing. The tires i have suck im currently using bridgestone duravis. I have a 2011 chevy silverado 2500hd. Im either looking at the Cooper AT3 or The new Good Year Adventure tire. They both look like great tires. The cooper has great reviews. Let me know what you think :salute:
  2. 32vld

32vld Senior Member
    from LI, NY

My son, 2011 Colorado and I, Jeep Unlimited Wrangler, we both bought BF Goodrich All Terrains TA/KO. They work great. I am going to buy a set for my suburban this spring.
  3. linckeil

linckeil PlowSite.com Addict
    from CT

question 1: are these going to be dedicated snow tires used only in the winter months, or are they to be used year round?

question 2: do you have a particular tire size in mind? tire size is equally important in my mind as the actual tire you choose. a narrow tire is better in the snow - thats a fact. for a 3/4 or 1 ton truck the only tire i would ever run in the winter is a 235 tire. i'd consider a 245 or 255 if a 235 was unavaible for my particular rim size - i have 235 85 16 tires. anything over a 255 width is out of the question for me, although you will get plenty of folks telling you how great their 325 tires plow.
  4. Glenn Lawn Care

Glenn Lawn Care Senior Member

Those tire may look good but they don't last long. When worked at a tiresbplus years ago, that was the #1 tire that we replaced. Usually with Bridgestone dueler at revo. I have good years and they are great.
  5. UltraLwn&Lndscp

UltraLwn&Lndscp Senior Member

Yokohama Geolander AT/S have been treating us nicely even at 265. I agree a narrower tire is key as well. When I get dedicated snow tires on new wheels in Spring I am going back to 245's.
  6. Sawboy

Sawboy PlowSite.com Addict

GoodYear DuraTrac
  7. sgpmi10

sgpmi10 Junior Member
    from Wall NJ

my size tire is 265 70 17 and this going to be used year round
  8. sgpmi10

sgpmi10 Junior Member
    from Wall NJ

my friend has them and loves them in the snow and but i drove his truck with them they are one noisey and hard riding tire
  9. bigearl

bigearl Senior Member

Cooper stt best tire I have every used in the snow

I only use them in the winter then change the tires in the spring
  10. Sawboy

Sawboy PlowSite.com Addict

I disagree with noisy, and "hard riding"? It's a truck.
  11. integrityman

integrityman Member

I just purchased Goodyear Duratracs. They are absolutely fantastic!!!!!
    I've done four heavy snow events with nasty ice on the last event.

Id say these so far are better than the Dueler AT Revos.

They are on a GMC Sierra 3/4 ton diesel.

Exceptionally happy.
  12. integrityman

integrityman Member

Referencing Goodyear Duratracs

A little noisy- not bad at all tho. Awesome plow tire. Ill switch back to my Michilen highway tire when Spring arrives.
  13. Moose's Mowing

Moose's Mowing Senior Member
    from SE PA

check out the hankooks. I have a set of load range E's on my 2500. they're holding up great, give a nice ride, grip well, they're quiet and they're awesome in the snow. Literally haven't been stuck yet. I slid off in a ditch the last storm and figured I was done. I put it in GO and dropped the old hammer and it crawled out. I was impressed :) They were also a tad cheaper than the coopers when I got them. I think they're 265 75-16
  14. deere615

deere615 2000 Club Member

I just put the new goodyear adventures on my main pickup last month, I like them so far
  15. 3bladz

3bladz Senior Member

I've had three sets of Revo's and I just put duratracs on one of my trucks and they are hands down better.
  16. xjoedirt55x

xjoedirt55x Senior Member

Some people do not want anything to do with them, but I use www.treadwright.com for tires. Decent tread pattern options, and myself along with a bunch of other guys have had really good luck with them. Just an option.
  17. Buswell Forest

Buswell Forest PlowSite.com Addict
    from NH

Michelin LTX M/S is what my friend uses on all 20 or more of his company trucks...logging, plowing, concrete...and he can have whatever he wants...he buys what he considers the very best no matter what he is buying.

I am still on the OEM A/T Bridgestones on my F250. I can find no faults with them except in deep snow they chatter rather than hook. Probably as much to do with the stiff suspension as the tire. Great on ice. Good in smaller snow amounts.
  18. CleanCutL&S

CleanCutL&S Senior Member

I use Bridge stone and Cooper. Not a fan of Goodyear, they seem to wear out fast.
  19. Emmanuel

Emmanuel Member

We run the at3's on a few of our trucks. They seem to handle the snow and ice fine. But they are noisy and look to be wearing fast.
  20. Flawless440

Flawless440 PlowSite.com Addict