1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Lux Lawn, Oct 29, 2005.

What do you do?

1. Pick it up and toss it on the lawn

18 vote(s)
  2. Plow it in

6 vote(s)
  3. Depends on the customer

9 vote(s)
  4. Depends on your mood

12 vote(s)
  5. Never get out of the Truck

13 vote(s)
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Lux Lawn

Lux Lawn PlowSite.com Addict

When plowing residential driveways and there is a newspaper in the driveway what do you do?
  2. Killswitch

Killswitch Senior Member

I can tell how this is going to go. Most of these guys plow in their robes and slippers.

3. Lux Lawn

Never thought about the slippers.LOL:)
  4. Olderthandirt

Olderthandirt Member

Larry if they don't have it in a paper box how was I suppose to see it in the snow ? :)

Paper boy/girl/man/woman gets paid to deliever paper I get paid to plow and I don't think they would shovel the drive for me if I was late or missed a big spot, so I don't think it would be fair for me to infringe on the spot they choose for placement of a paper.
  5. NJ Plowman

NJ Plowman Senior Member

Robes and slippers...here in Jersey we plow in the buff!:eek:
  6. Dwan

Dwan Senior Member

No option for putting it on thre front door step. These customers pay my wage so that makes them ny boss. If someone was to plow up my paper he would be looking for another job.
  7. 04superduty

04superduty PlowSite.com Addict

if i see the paper i get out and pick it up. but usually its left on the side walk covered and i find it with my snow blower. sure does make a mess too.
  8. LwnmwrMan22

LwnmwrMan22 PlowSite Fanatic

Yep, same here.

Most of the accounts that I've got, must have pretty decent delivery people. Rarely do I have a paper out amongst the snow.
  9. derekbroerse

derekbroerse 2000 Club Member

I agree with Dwan. I'd be pretty pissed. I think thats really lazy. Besides, a quick stretch feels good.

Its a different story if it is buried and you can't see it.

I was tempted to plow it in last year this one time, the dumbass newspaper guy came and threw it into the snow WHILE I was plowing!! Wanted to throttle the bugger for being so stupid...
  10. Lux Lawn

Your lucky...around here they drive down the street and trow the papers out the windows of there cars right in the middle of the driveways.
    All the have to do is look and see the plow stakes on the sides of the driveway and see who's driveway hasn't been plowed yet.Is it really that hard to figure out?:dizzy:
  11. LwnmwrMan22

LwnmwrMan22 PlowSite Fanatic

I think it's got something to do with the paper.

I know that if my parents don't get their paper, they send someone out with a new paper. Maybe that count goes against your pay, so they're pretty decent about making sure the people get the paper????

FIREMAN Q Senior Member

in my area most of the papers are either in a box or in the door so the paper in the driveway is not an issue.

Depending on the customer and if they are home, i will at times grap the paper out of the box and hand deliver it for them. I think it is good customer service. almost like they are getting more for there money.

13. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

Is our life that busy that we can't pick up the paper for a customer of ours? I remember a few years back when we had a LARGE snow storm and I had been out for many hours. No sleep, not much food but I brought plenty of water to drink. Got out of the truck to pick up the newspaper and I noticed it had a free sample of peanuts in it. Needless to say I picked up all the papers that day!!!
  14. Olderthandirt

Olderthandirt Member

So you a paper boy now Larry? payup
  15. danno

danno Senior Member

That`s a good story ! :)
  16. JTW

JTW Senior Member

You scavenger!!!! lol

Thats classic!
  17. Andy N.

Andy N. Senior Member

I keep it, read it while I'm on the pot and then fold it back up, put it in the bag and redeliver it.
  18. Lux Lawn

I never said that.:)
  19. Gicon

Gicon Senior Member
    from MA

I am the plow boy, not the paper boy. I am hired to plow anything color white. That could be anything from white snow to white news paper to white cars or white houses....
  20. The Boss

The Boss 2000 Club Member

I value my customers and the business they give me. If I see their paper laying in the drive, lot, sidewalk, etc., I pick it up for them. It's the least I can do. If I don't see any, then plow on.