1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Newsflash!!! Meyer Bails Out New Blizzard 810!

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by PetalsandPines, Mar 1, 2005.

1. PetalsandPines

PetalsandPines Senior Member

Dateline: Buffalo NY 4:30 AM..... In an incredible turn of events, Petals and Pines Landscaping is dealt a tremendous ego blow this morning when his brand spanking new blizzard plow simply stops working in a customer's driveway!!! What the %%$ he says as he goes storming out of the truck, removes the plastic cover over the hydraulic unit to find that the motor simply fell off the hydraulic unit!!!!!!!!!!!!! He sat there in amazement wondering how the hell a motor can simply fall off.....Blizzard technology, he found, makes it impossible to move a plow, dismount the plow or raise the plow off the ground if the motor falls off!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! In shame, Petals and Pines picks the motor up holds it against the hydraulic unit in "mount and dismount mode" and finds that there is just enough to get the plow in an up position.....Petals and pines heads home with an uncovered hydraulic unit, a motor dangling off the bottom of the frame and becomes ONE PISSED OFF BLIZZARD OWNER. Flustered by the situation, he grabs the back up truck with the 10 year old Meyer plow and finishes the job the old fashioned way........... :gunsfiring:

2. oldmankent

oldmankent PlowSite.com Addict

Thumbs up for the good attitude. That has got to be a fluke of some sort.

3. Xtra

Xtra Member

When I bought my Blizzard I asked the dealer should I buy the "emergency kit" and are there any spare parts or certain things I should look out for? He said he's never used or sold any emergency kits, but for me to always check the motor bolts, even with Loctite they may work loose.

Great to see that you have a good sense of humor :jester:

4. PetalsandPines

Sense of Humor?

It's really not a sense of humor this late in the season....It's Numbness from a winter that just won't end. Where's my turf tiger??? Can I sit on it and pretend??

5. johntwist

johntwist Senior Member

I can't wait to see what Dave (Bolts Indust.) has to say about this! Not to mention the tremendous opportunity this presents for Bad Luck to continue to break Up North's balls. :yow!: Ooooh Rah! (Before anybody sees this as an opportunity to jump in on a bashing session, don't. It's all in good fun)

I'm happy to report that after getting one of the snowiest New England winters we've had in years for her first season, my brand new Boss has performed flawlessly. And boy do I hope it stays that way! After ****ing up my bumper and cargo box versus a few stubborn trees, I don't need problems with the plow!

6. Bad Luck

Bad Luck Senior Member

John - Were we not just talking about what to do in a situation like this in another post?

The irony is killing me.

Last night as I cleaned up all the trails from my little 7.5 blade I swore to myself next time around would be a 3/4 ton with a Blizzard 810. One incident doesn't constitute bashing in my mind. I still want one. :nod:

7. johntwist

johntwist Senior Member

Yeah, it is weird for somebody to have a problem like that so soon after I posted that thread. I hope I didn't jinx everybody with my "what if" scenario.

I feel your pain about the 7.5 - in fact I have to give credit to surfing PlowSite in making my decision to go with an 8 footer. That and since I have a 3/4 ton the dealer recommended it too. And yes, one problem does not a piece of crap plow make. Anything mechanical can fail, but it is embarrassing to have your mighty 810 leave you at the mercy of an old Meyer. That's almost as bad as seeing your best friend in a barroom with your ex-girlfriend.

Anyway, it should be fun when the Blizzard boys start weighing in on this, and I'm sure you'll mention it to Buck in your own "way" :p

8. Bad Luck

Bad Luck Senior Member

Agreed.... A buddy of mine was a scaper and used to say that "anything that uses gas sucks"....when I would ask him about what type of mower and truck he prefered.

9. scagster

scagster Member
    from n.ohio

i own 4 meyer 7.5 plows, the newest being a e57h, in hindsight iwish i would of bought a red one. not bashing meyer but very disapointed in performance.the new one is basically the exact setup as the older ones

10. PetalsandPines

Verdict is in.....

One of the motor mount bolts had loosened from it's mounting and slid back, the subsequent torque on the motor snapped the second bolt right off from inside the threaded hole :( Dealer support was superb, hats off to Bison Turf in Buffalo. Got right in and right out....I have bad luck with motors falling off, had a motor fall off my Little Tipster dump insert.....That I can blame on the jawcrushing F350 Super Duty springs....This 810 occurance happened on my wimpy Chevy 3500 Dually.....AKA my "car". I won't get into that battle in this thread though.

11. Up North

Up North Senior Member

As Bad Luck would say...YOU FOCKERS!!! LOL!! Actually that's a pretty good story Petals & Pines, not funny if it happens to you of course, but just the thought of seeing the motor hanging down below the A-Frame and a guy standing there scratching his head and thinking "WTF do I do now?"

Funny though, it took this long before something happened to a Blizzard plow... :rolleyes: Now watch, next time out mine will drop off and I'll run over it, blow 2 tires, slam into the ditch, and take out a couple 200 year old Norway pines... :help: :D

Buck

12. Bad Luck

Bad Luck Senior Member

..sounds like something that would happen to me...

PetalsandPines - does that truck do the Super Duty Shuffle???

13. Bolts Indus.

Bolts Indus. PlowSite.com Addict

Blizzard as good as they are are still subject to one carless employee on the assembly line that makes the pumps for Blizzard. These things do happen on occasion even to a Blizzard. Turning your negative to the positive side is to say when you get your plow home from the first install it does not hurt to test it out and check all components for tightness etc. No reflection on the dealer but we are not perfect either. :rolleyes: Now, really, what did you think I would say? :)

14. johntwist

johntwist Senior Member

I wouldn't have expected anything less Dave :nod:

15. festerw

festerw Senior Member

Hey I did the same thing only replace the trees with a brick wall, LOL

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

16. Mark Witcher

Mark Witcher Senior Member

Yes all it takes is one bad emploee. My 810 was leaking oil from the lift cylinder, just a few drops when the plow was in the raised position. After quite a bit of head scratching to figure out where it was coming from we took the cylinder off and hooked it up to the pump to see what was leaking. Found a very small pin hole in the weld on the cylinder body to endcap weld at the butt end of the cylinder. I rewelded it and has been good as new.

17. PSDF350

PSDF350 Senior Member

this is why my dealer suggested to bring plow back after a couple storms so he can check it over after some use.

18. PLOWMAN45

PLOWMAN45 2000 Club Member

i know meyers that are 20 yrs still going