1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

newly sealed driveways-picky customers

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by hortboy, Oct 21, 2003.

1. hortboy

hortboy Junior Member

guys, I have alot of retired customers and they are the type to seal the driveway every year and keep it stain free. They even paint there garage floors and then put carpet down. Anyway, they are complaining of my leaving scratches in there drive way sealer every winter. The look similiar to when a studded tire spins on leaves the slits. But being there older and risk of falling is always on the mind so the drives must be bare, what do I do to keep the customer and rectify the problem they complain of.

2. JCurtis

JCurtis Banned

How about Urethane edges?

instead of scraping it may be more of a squeegee action.

3. PINEISLAND1

PINEISLAND1 PlowSite.com Veteran

No doubt, urethane is the way to go !

They will really be happy with the quiet nature of the edges as well, they wont even know when your there.

4. BWhite

BWhite Senior Member

me too

I did a preseason route check and I noticed a lot of newly sealed drives ( someone must have canvased the neighborhood ) I think its time for me to go for the urethane too. Keeping fingers crossed that the drives were prepped correctly before application . Either way there is a sealer clause in my contract .
    If your just plowing how do you get a north facing drive to bare ?

5. Adams plowing

Adams plowing Senior Member

Ofcourse you know if a spinning studded tire is causeing the damage the u-edge wont matter.. altough it couldnt hurt

6. hortboy

hortboy Junior Member

Ofcourse you know if a spinning studded tire is causeing the damage the u-edge wont matter.. altough it couldnt hurt

The above note on studded tires was an example to better explain what the damage looked like. I personally don't run studded tires any any of my trucks.

7. BWhite

BWhite Senior Member

Heres the scenario.......... you will be blamed for any mark,scuff,scrape etc in their driveway . If they are that anal they will always be PITA customers . Unless you can have them hire you to reseal there drive every spring . Then you can make money on their obsession

8. Got Snow

Got Snow Senior Member

urethane edge

no personal experience, but i believe those edge wear quite significantly.....maybe something to look into:cool:

9. sno-mover

sno-mover Senior Member

Have them seal the driveway in the spring:D

10. micah79

micah79 Senior Member

Scratches in the sealcoat are gonna happen, so tell them that if they want plowed, then its something they're gonna have to deal with. If they have a problem with that then they probably aren't worth having. IMO

11. BWhite

BWhite Senior Member

wear

I have been told urethane will last 4X longer than mild steel

12. Got Snow

Got Snow Senior Member

BWhite

thats funny, i looked into a urethane edge and was told to expect 1/2 the life of a steel edge not to mention twice as much money....

that was enough for me to stick with steel.

again i never used one, just some info i got

ken

13. BWhite

BWhite Senior Member

I haven't owned one yet either . But what I have been told and read seems convincing . What I am really concerned about is my steel cutting edge tearing out the raised leading edge of customers driveways (I seem to have way to many with this problem in big dollar developments ) caused by incomplete or poor paving contractors .It just isnt fun to do LOL ( although thats also in my contract )

14. 90plow

90plow Senior Member

I wouldn't think the scraping action would be as good as the steel if you said the drives have to be clear. And theres no way the urethane lasts longer than steel isn't urethane plastic or rubber or a combo of the two? I think I'd tell them thats whats going to happen and deal with it...JMO
    Eric

15. PINEISLAND1

There is no doubt after using urethane for three plus years that it outlasts steel.

Ask anyone who's USED one.

16. Michael F

Michael F Senior Member

How well do the U edges scrape on hard pack though, not trying to argue, just looking for info.

17. micah79

micah79 Senior Member

I don't plow hard packed snow. I use deicer for ice and hard packed snow. I have never had my steel edges do a very good job with hard packed snow. My suggestion is to use a deicer such as magic or caliber and tell the customers that you are not responsible for scratches in sealcoat, or damage to pavement that results from an uneven grade or previous cracks. Then, offer to apply their seal coat every spring if they like it to look brand new every year. You could make some extra $$$ doing the sealcoating.

18. PINEISLAND1

In that exact situation you describe, I would go into these drives equipped with a backblade with good downpressure, matched to a urethane edge, and you wont believe how well the drives clean up.

They can always pay extra for a little deicer after each plow, to keep it "wet and Black" if they desire. Maybe even a backpack sprayer with some liquid caliber or Magic to treat the drive after plowing, and give you some residual effect as well to prevent the bond next time.

You are only limited by how much they want to PAY.

19. BWhite

BWhite Senior Member

Tom

You run a urethane edge on a backplow ? How does it work compared to the original steel edge ?

20. PINEISLAND1

Awesome ! The combination of urethane and downpressure is unbeatable, and of course very quiet !