1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Newie Question- Backdragging

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by collegeplow, Dec 4, 2003.

1. collegeplow

collegeplow Junior Member

I have seen pics of backdrag edges that have an extra cutting edge welded on.

My question is, can you back drag with any standard straight plow? (well enough to do residental drives)

A western unimount 6'6" ?

2. PlowKid150

PlowKid150 Senior Member

Honostly. the western straight blade will backdrag just as well if it had that backdrag plate on it. All that thing is, is one more little costly accessory to add to your plow for no reason. I run all straight blades and find myself backdragging almost every drive i do. As long as you take your plow shoes completely off and have direct contact with the cutteredge and the pavement, it will backdrag beautifully, dont buy into all that stupid crap they try to sell you... Just my opinion.

Plowkid

3. kipcom

kipcom Senior Member
    from Indiana

HeLL yes :drinkup: U tell'em plow kid

4. collegeplow

collegeplow Junior Member

I didn't buy into it, that's why I asked ! :)

thanks for the input

5. Bolts Indus.

Bolts Indus. PlowSite.com Addict

My many years of plowing tell me back draging works on powder snow but makes mounds of ice in wet snow. Thus Im adding a rear mount pull plow to solve that problem.

6. Lbilawncare

Lbilawncare Senior Member

Bolts, what kind of back plow did you decide to buy?

7. Bolts Indus.

lbilawncare

Snow Man. Think i am going to be a dealer

8. Strongmd

Strongmd Member

We have backdrag blades on the backside of all of our plows. We have them on 9 plows and it's the only way to go. We only pay $200 a piece for them. Much more effective at backdragging than just using the regular blade, especially in wet snow.

9. silveradoatv

silveradoatv Junior Member

Do most people take off the plow shoes from your plows?

10. Bolts Indus.

silveradoatv

If you mean Blizzard. In the past I have never used shoes on hard surfaces, just gravel drives etc. Am going to experiment with the 810 Blizzard as the cutting edge has worn a little. Maybe because of the weight or it may be just settling in. Going to fool around a little though.

Last edited: Dec 23, 2003
  11. Runner

Runner Senior Member

Many of times, if the snow is wet, and wants to pack (I don't run shoes), I will backdrag, leave the plow down and go forward again. Just before I reach the point that can go no further forward, (about a foot or so), I lift the plow, continue forward, and then set it back down and drag out again. Sure, you are back dragging each strip twice, but with a little practice, it becomes routine, and goes pretty quick. I also angle the blade slightly while backdragging, so some of the snow will bleed of into the next row that I'm doing. When I creep forward with the plow still down again, I angel it the other way, for the same purpose. I then turn it once again (just slightly) when I back up again. I would love to come up with some configuration for a homemade backdrag blade for the plow. I was thinking of using an older slightly worn wearbar, and making a steel lengthwise bracket, bent lengthwise, to attach to the back of the moldboard.

12. kipcom

kipcom Senior Member
    from Indiana

Why go thru life backwards...:eek: when you can go forward ?

13. easthavenplower

easthavenplower Senior Member

kipcom

you still gotta back up even with back plow so your still going backwards in life:rolleyes:

14. thundercat99

thundercat99 Senior Member

back that thing up

my blizzard 8-10 back drags very well no extra cutting edge its just special,,, then again it ways 950 ponds

go wide or go home....

15. Snow Jaw

Snow Jaw Senior Member

My Northman plow can go back drag with the plow shoes off. it can do a clean job as you go forward..
    if your plow is heavy and with out shoes it should do it..

check my plow on web page.

16. Snoworks

Snoworks Senior Member

Have not posted in a while, but thought I would chime in here. There is simply no better way to clean a driveway than using both a rear-front plow combination, Period!(Exception - Tractor with a rear blower attachement)! The driveway will always be cleaner using this combination. It cuts driveway times in half in most cases. And you have the ability to plow many other driveways that you couldnt, using a straight blade.

All this means better service, more revenue, and higher profits. I would not leave the house without my rear blade! I have 5 trucks and all have rear plows attached to them. Yes, they do cost a couple of K's, but well worth it in the long run.

As John Allen has said more than once - "sometimes you have to think outside the box".

Just my 2 - Cents worth.

Chuck B.

17. Bolts Indus.

We are getting our demo SnowMan back plow Monday. Big storm to hit here that day though. Probably won't have time to mount it on the other truck because I push in a shopping center.

18. PLOWMAN45

PLOWMAN45 2000 Club Member

Western does a clean backdrag but i have a meyers and it does a good job double locking cycliners are better i think the boss has those but if its heavy should be fine

19. NYplowboy

NYplowboy Member

Good evening everyone, I back drag with my Fisher, works real well. Also, this is for Bolts: In my area (upstate NY) there is a plow called Hiniker, they make a "c" plow that rotates the blade back wards for back dragging then rotates back for pushing. Looks pretty neat, but I'll stay with the fisher.............check it out!

20. ebaron

ebaron Senior Member

Fisher backdrag blade pics

Anyone have any pics of Fisher backdrag blades?
    My Fisher does not really backdrag as well as I would like, especially with all the snow and extra cold temps recently. I sure would rather do one back swipe than multiple passes.